Interview at the Polls

My sound didn't work for some reason, so here's a summary of the interview with Ms. Rachel:

(Ms. Rachel's answers were long, so I had to summarize.)

Q: What motivated you to come out and vote?

A: I come out and vote for African-American rights. We have fought for years to gain our rights -and not only African Americans but women and the poor also. The government only listens to those who have money or are in their system. People have to realize that this isn't just a man's world anymore this is a people's world and the people should control our government.

Q: What would you like to see changed in our political system?

A: i would like to see a committee for each city, that met about once a month and reported back to the president and congress, so they could hear everyone's opinion.

Q: Do we know why we vote on Tuesday?

A: No I do not, do you know? (I responded by telling her that according to a seminar I attended the day before it was established years ago and it was because of people who traveled by horse and buggy. They made voting day on Tuesday so people who needed to travel far could do so and get back without traveling on religious days.)

Q:Are you always sure of who you are going to vote for when you walk into the booth or are you still deliberating?

A: I always know who I'm going to vote for.

Q: What changes do you hope to see in Philadelphia as a result of this election?

A: I would like to see Philadelphia become more economical. Right now there are a lot of people on welfare and disability and unemployment. I would like to see ways to handle these issues, a way to help people out.