"Is Philly Next"

“Is Philly Next?

Pow! Pow! Pow! Gun shoots rang in the East Wing of the school building. For the past 50 years, school shootings have happened all over the US. The first shooting was reported in 1966 at the University of Texas. By the end of the shooting, there were 16 victims. What inside gets people so angry that they want to shoot their peers? People are bullied almost every second of the day, but to open fire on people at school is no excuse. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

In some cases, these shootings are accidents. People might carry the firearms for protection because they live in really horrible neighborhoods. When that happens  some students carry the guns in the backpacks, resulting in the gun discharging when the student sits their bag down. If that happens clearly the student did not intend on anyone in school getting hurt. This happened at Gardena High School in Los Angeles, CA. This is the most recent school shooting in the US taking place on January 8, 2011. The firearm was in the 17-year-old childs book bag when it went off. This left 2 students wounded, and now the teen is being tried as an adult for assault with a deadly weapon. He has a history of being bullied so he carried the gun for that, but had no intentions on using it in school.

The city of Los Angeles as a large community can’t watch every student in each school. On the other hand they can get their school security system together. A school official said that over 3000 students attend Gardena High School. The security there uses a handheld metal detector on each student as they enter the school building, so it is very easy for a student to slip pass security with a weapon. Assuming this a pretty large building, there will be multiple entrances to the building. Therefore there should be security with handheld metal detectors on each entrance so it is much easier to catch a student with a weapon.

Is Philly next? With all the shootings we have outside of school for fights that happen in school, you never know. One day someone is going to walk into a Philadelphia high school and open fire. So far there has been 4 school shootings in the state of Pennsylvania. There’s only a matter of time before the fifth one happens, and no one knows where in Pennsylvania it will be. 

Some TV shows base episodes on school violence, and some movies are based on school violence. They want to express the fact that you shouldn’t bully people, shoot up your school, and commit random acts of violence in school. They want to keep things like that out of the school community. Now that doesn’t mean it’s ok to go outside and do the same thing. It’s not ok, and it can lead you down the wrong road in life.

The US is supposed to be the land of the free. It can be that when you have people shooting each other in school, or bullying one another, or even cursing each other out. Not everyone is going to get along, but when you meet someone new, get to know him or her first because they might being going through the same things as you. If you don’t take the initiative to do that, it shows how much of a coward you are. You’re not fooling anyone but yourself.

School shootings are 100% preventable because the person getting ready to blast the school can make the decision to stop and walk away. It’s just a matter of if that person cares enough to. If you are a victim or suspect of school violence then you need to talk to someone and get immediate counseling. No one ever wants to be the one getting picked on, but it happens and life goes on. It takes one person to be that change, so why not be them?

Thank You,
Khalil Clark