Click here to download our visual piece.
- What surprised you most about this information? What seemed quite obvious about explaining this data set?
Among the things that surprised me the most were the dramatic decreases that the data showed in certain decades of US History. However, once I considered the decades with the decreases and the different events happening in America at the time, they made perfect sense.
Also, one thing that really intrigued me was how the overall American population had a nearly linear, steady increase, where as the immigration arrivals often changed.
- Looking at the overall trend and incorporating what you know about the US presently, predict and defend the immigration trend for the next two decades.
I believe that the immigration trend in the US will suffer a slight decrease, due to the dissolution of the American economy. I believe that these problems in the federal government will not attract people from foreign countries to inhabit the US.
- Describe how you made a decision on how to visually represent the information.
We decided to place emphasis on the push/pull factors that encouraged immigration. We decided that each decade had multiple perspectives, and so we wanted to display that in our visual piece.
- What parts of group work were challenging?
I think everyone in the group had a massive amount of ideas, and it was very hard to compress those ideas into a singular image.
- What would you do differently if you had this project to do over?
If we had more time, I would include photos in the decades as well. I feel that this would have really solidified the multiple perspectives that we were trying to convey.