Jamie Murphy Hamlet Analysis

" I have of late—but wherefore I know not—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises, and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air—look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire—why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals. And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me. No, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

-Hamlet quote

Hamlet is very emotional in the words he speaks. It's as if every word that leaves his mouth is stern and meaningful. Every word counts. Hamlet speaks of no nonsense, he means business. He is feeling out of sorts. His feelings towards everything and everyone is not the same as others feel. Hamlet is analyzing all the things he feels blue about. " What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals. And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?"  By saying this, he is stating that there is so much beauty and amazement in a person. Although he could care less, he sees nothing more than ordinary. Hamlet is depressed. This scene reminded me of how teenagers in modern day see things when they are depressed. Specifically my thought were drawn to the book, "The Lovers Dictionary" by David Levithan. The way Hamlet relays his feelings through such simple examples, yet still so meaningful. David Levithan writes the same way, while conveying stress, sadness, and harsh emotion.  It becomes obvious that Hamlet is depressed because he is showing all different symptoms and reflecting them on different people. In the quote Hamlet talks about his feelings in deep concern. He explains why he feels the way he does using comparisons to how others see things. Most seem to be very upsetting and depressing comments. This is Hamlet's ways of responding to the life changes he is experiencing currently. He is completely overwhelmed with the situation, and confused on how to go forward. Although his feelings could and may possibly not be true, this is his way of responding to the current events. Hamlet's way of behaving is not co-operating with the rest of the environment. Hamlet can only communicate with himself when he is alone. When he is in front of others, he acts like someone he’s not. The crazy, loud, and outrageous man is so different from the confused, depressed, and lost man who is still trying to recover his fathers death, let alone try to comprehend that his uncle might have committed the deed. 

“The paragon of animals. And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me. No, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so." , says Hamlet in his last few words of the speach. This is just one of another point proving Hamlet’s change in emotion. It also shows others reactions to him. 

hamletJmurphy