Jamira Terrell Capstone

For my capstone, I wanted to do something that meant a lot to me. Ever since the fifth grade, I have played on the volleyball team and it is one of my many passions. Because volleyball means so much to me, I decided to share it with others and those that may be interested in playing. As a novice player, I understand that it is sometimes difficult to grasp the dynamics of the game, how to condition pre season, proper attire, and even how to prevent and treat injuries. That is why I decided to create a “How To” guide book specifically for volleyball. My goal is to help new volleyball players understand the basics of the sport and hopefully drive their passion for the game just like mine. This capstone was a great learning experience for me. Most of the information in my book are things that I wish I had known before I started playing. I am glad that by creating this book, I am giving other people the opportunity that I did not have. I have never done a project like this before and it pushed me to step out of my comfort zone and take on things that I most likely, wouldn’t have.

Jamira Terrell

Capstone

03 February 2017

Annotated Bibliography

Volleytastic. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.volleytastic.com/about-volleyball/history-of-indoor-volleyball/

I selected this source because I think it is important for people to know the history of volleyball. I think that this is important so that people will know why the sport is so popular. This website also provides informational timeline on the growth of volleyball and how it spread to different countries. Knowing the history of a sport can help curious players the risks of the sport, the difficulty level, and who/what originated the complexity of the sport.

http://www.volleytastic.com/playing-volleyball/volleyball-injuries-and-prevention/

This source is essential to my project because it provides information on injuries and different ways to prevent them. The reason I have multiple sources on injury prevention is because it I think that is important for beginners to know and fully understand the risks that they are posing to there bodies and also what to know if said risks occur. It is important for every athlete, not just volleyball players, to learn how to take care of their body both during and after a sport. Stretching, icing, massaging, etc. are just a few ways to keep one’s body in good condition and this site explains other ways as well.

"Differences Between Indoor and Outdoor Volleyballs." Real Volleyball. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.realvolleyball.com/blog/differences-between-indoor-and-outdoor-volleyballs/

I found this source useful because I do not think that most people know the difference between indoor and outdoor volleyball. Also, a lot of people who play volleyball play both indoor and outdoor. It is important to know the difference between the two because although one may know how to play indoor, they may not know how to play outdoor. The rules and regulations for both differ from each other in both major and minor ways. Because of the difference in rules, it may prevent some from playing. Also, outdoor (beach) volleyball is generally more difficult to play than indoor volleyball.

Hebert, Mike. Thinking volleyball. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2014. Print.

There are many people whose first thought is that volleyball is so easy and that there isn’t much to it, which is why I found this book to be very useful. It breaks down the mental capacity and strength needed to play volleyball. This source is essential because most people do not understand that there is more to the game of volleyball than just serving, passing, and hitting. The game requires mental determination and the ability to understand multiple plays, defensive skills, offensive skills, etc. Without this understanding of the mental aspect of the game, some people may find it harder than others to excel in this sport.

"How to Play Volleyball | Learning Skills and Rules." Volleyball Advisors. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.volleyballadvisors.com/how-to-play-volleyball.htm

This source provides information on the “how to” basics of volleyball. The article goes into detail about the game as whole but more specifically the physical and mental aspect of playing the game. This source, although too detailed for exactly what I need, I can still use the basic information in order to construct step by step rules on the game. Instead of completely dismissing the additional information given within the article, I can use it to provide and even more detailed and advanced explanation.

Kenny, Bonnie, and Cindy Gregory. Volleyball: steps to success. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2006. Print.

I selected this book because I think it helps beginners understand the major steps in order to be successful while playing volleyball. Although, this source is so detailed to the point where it can also teach people that have been playing volleyball for a very long time. This source is not just geared towards beginners but it will help be in laying out the basic steps to success for those who do not know anything about volleyball. This source is extremely informative and also describes how one can better specific skills used in volleyball. With this source I can inform people of the steps that they need to take and the drills that they can do in order to become a better player.

"Preventing Volleyball Injuries." Volleyball Injuries | Volleyball Injury Prevention & Treatment. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Volleyball_Injury_Prevention.aspx

Initially, I did not think that this website would help with my capstone project because I figured that it would be basic information on common volleyball injuries. I was in fact proven wrong when I reviewed the source because it provided in extreme detail multiple injuries caused by playing volleyball and also gave the types of injury prevention exercises specific to each injury. This source is beneficial to me because it is a major section in the Volleyball Guide 101 book that I am making and the information provided within this article will fit perfectly in the book.

"Safety Tips: Volleyball." KidsHealth. The Nemours Foundation, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/safety-volleyball.html?WT.ac=ctg

I selected this source because it provided information about safety tips of volleyball and the accessories needed to remain safe while playing the game. Although, this source does not go into in depth detail, it still allows me to use the information for my project so that I can information students on the required and optional materials used for the sport. Some of the materials are used to better one’s performance and others may be used for personal preference. I will specifically use this source for the information that I present in my “how to” book for my final project.

"Volleyball Shoes – The Right Pair Makes A World of Difference." Volleyball Shoes Make All The Difference. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.volleyball-training-ground.com/volleyball-shoes.html

Although short in content, I find this sourced to be very useful. Most people who are beginners to the sport do not understand how essential it is to have the right footwear while playing. Regular tennis shoes are acceptable, but for better performance, specific court shoes should be worn. Court shoes generally have a rubber sole so that individuals can move quickly and also stop abruptly without slipping and sliding on the court. Also, the website provides details on how to determine when to get new court shoes and the reason behind taking care of said athletic wear.

"Volleyball Training 101 - A Program For Successful Players!" Bodybuilding.com. N.p., 09 Apr. 2015. Web. 03 Feb. 2017.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/volleyball_training.htm

At first, I was not going to add information to my capstone about pre-season and off- season workouts, but after reviewing this source, I feel like this is a necessary element to add. The reason this source is so important is because in order to play not just volleyball but any sport, one needs to be in good physical condition and healthy both during and after the season. Working out before the season enhances the ability of better performance and strength during season and off season workouts maintains the balance of health with the abrupt halt of activity.