Jesus Jimenez - Marking Period 1

With the aluminum sculpture I'm making, I hope to have an influence in our universe's environment. My goal for this sculpture is for it to have some kind of influence that can maybe prevent people from wanting to throw trash into space. I enjoy astronomy and love the feeling of the untouched world out there. This is the reason why I was motivated to make such art like this.

The reason why this certain sculpture could have a tiny influence, is it's design. I chose a comet because it's one of the few things that could represent space. Choosing the material isn't hard. The Aluminum represents the current trash that is in space now, unused satellites, launched by different companies. It's shiny metallic texture gives it that industrial feel to it. The "tail" of the comet is have a unique design. They look like feathers, because in most comets I've see, the tail looks similar to a feather. I tried to avoid using a streak-like design for the tail. The comet looks like its coming down and can look like it's picking up trash as it passes Earth. But it really depends on the perspective of the person looking at the sculpture.

The reason I am making this sculpture is because I don't only care about the Earth's environment, but I care for the universe's environment too. I was influenced into doing this by my ILP (Individual Learning Plan) at the Franklin Institute's Observatory. While doing this ILP, I'm learning things about the Sun, but I also remind myself of other wonderful things out there in the universe. I'm also reminded of how beautiful and pure the rest of the universe compared to our planet.

Sketch 1 - How I could use a can
1000x1000
1000x1000
Sketch 2 - with a description
1000x1000-1
1000x1000-1
Sketch 3 - with a basic idea
1000x1000-2
1000x1000-2
Sketch 4 - What I wanted it to look like
The cut-up can aluminum I was using.
At the start of building
The "Tail" of the comet
The Aluminum Comet sculpture