Jovan and Shannon FOOD PROJECT!!!

Jovan: Fried Chicken

-recipe (4-5 people)

-ingredients

chicken 10-12 pieces

Salt

Pepper

Hot sauce (optional)

1/2 - 1 cup of vegetable oil

Pour vegetable oil in a medium to large pot over a medium flame

let oil boil

While waiting for oil to boil season chicken with preferred seasonings I use Salt, Pepper, and Hot Sauce

Place seasoned chicken in pot and let fry for about 12-18 minutes.

Close lid of pot over the chicken to optimize coverage

Check every 3 minutes to make sure chicken is being cooked evenly

Remove from pot

EAT.

-analysis of dish

Well there's not much I can say about fried chicken, its a pretty common food eaten all over America. while it's not exactly the healthiest thing one could eat it's definitely worth it.

-personal reflection

This project made me think about food in new ways as far as what am I eating, I also learned that I love cooking almost as much as I love to draw and read comic books.

-Shannon: Colcannon

-recipe

Ingredients
5 russet potatoes
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 head napa cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoons salt

Cut and steam the potatoes until tender. Return to the still hot pot and add 1/4 cup butter, milk, kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Mash together.

Melt the remaining butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and leeks. Saute until they begin to soften. Add the kale and toss until soft and wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and toss until tender-crisp, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and the remaining pepper.

Mix the cabbage and mashed potatoes together well. Sprinkle with the green onion slices before serving.

-analysis of dish

We make out Colcannon a little differently not adding in leeks and Kale along with some of the butter. A lot of the ingredients aren't processed. It's also not incredibly healthy, but it isn't totally bad for you either. Jovan (who's computer isn't working) is making fried chicken which also can be considered unprocessed, but is also a lot more unhealthy. since in my dish there are a lot of starch our bodies can only handle so much of it. With all that content over a long period of time your cholesterol and it would make one sluggish and tired. Not much of the food came from too far away. They could have easily been grown in the US meaning they wouldn't have travailed very far.This meal probably cost over the amount of a fast food meal, but that is because things like healthy things cost a whole lot more than they should. Some of the problems may be pesticides. Most of the big ingredients are plaints and plaints could be attacked by many bugs. This means in order to make more money they would need to protect their crops. Another is the bacon in it, there is a good possibility the pigs weren't exactly cared for in the right way.    

-personal reflection

When I look over everything we did this unit it makes me think about what I eat and how I eat. We talked about all kinds of things this unit, but the one thing we did about making things accessible. How they made it so that kids could have easy access to healthier food and thus picked the healthier things. If I had that kind of chance I know that would be how I would be. I would pick the healthier things rather than the unhealthy. It has always been my view that people would be that much healthier if the government made it easier to get the things that would make us all healthier. Sure there are some things that I don't want to give up, like candy and chocolate, but even then I would eat them in moderation. If they have a constant chance to eat things that are good for them most people including myself would. One thing that needs to be fixed is the amount of meat we eat all the time. The Western Diet which we also went over this unit has way too much meat in it. I think we've forgotten that there are other food groups.

photo
photo