Kay's Flim Review

The Bechdel Test and Mako Mori Test are movie measures to help rate the movie. These exist to help reviewers analyze and understand movies better whenever they watch it.

The Bechdel Test follows in these three categories;

• “It has to have at least two [named] women in it”

• “Who talk to each other”

• “About something besides a man”

The Mako Mori Test follows in these three categories;

• “at least one female character”

• “who gets her own narrative arc”

• “that is not about supporting a man's story”

Kay’s anti-gender movie test follows in these three categories;

• A woman must have a meaningful role within the movie

• Everybody especially men act supportive for the women

• The women shouldn’t have to show her body to still get the audience attention (sex scenes)

Twilight Review:

Overall, Twilight is a movie about a girl named Bella who was high school sophomore moving with her dad to Forks, Washington. However along this move she fell in love with Edward who she later found out that he is a vampire. This movie would obviously have a lot of conflict between her being a human and her boyfriend being a vampire but it did not stop them from loving each other. Throughout the movie, she tries to find herself after she decided to live with her father.

The Bechdel Test:

• It has two women in it who are (Bella and Alice)

• The women talks to each other about vampires

• But it’s always about a man which is Edward (Bella’s Boyfriend)

Rate ⅔

The Mako Mori Test:

• It has a least one woman in it who is (Bella)

• This female character has her narrative arc as to why she moves to Forks with her father from Arizona. Then the movie reaches its climax and resolution after she met Edward.

• The entire movie supports a man which is her boyfriend for being a vampire.

Rate ⅔

My anti-gender movie Test:

• Bella role in this romantic movie is the new girl everyone pays attention to in school since her dad is a cop and she dates Edward whos semi-popular at this High School

• Edward doesn’t seem to support a lot of what she wants because he’s always so in control and dominant towards her. Which turns her on.

• There was a time she was going to have sex with Edward but he wanted to have self control

Rate 1 ½

Fifty Shades of Grey Review:

Fifty Shades of Grey is a movie about a woman graduating from college named Ana Steele who fell in love with a successful business man named Christian Grey. Grey was a dominant sex addict who need proper love and after meeting Ana that is what he found. Ana allowed him to open up about a lot of issues that he was facing in life. However, no matter how much Ana changed his outlook of love he was still in control of her.

The Bechdel Test:

• It has to have at least two women in the movie whose names are; anastasia steele who’s the character Christian Grey “girlfriend” and her Ana’s roommate Kate Kavanaugh who’s a reporter for the school’s newspaper

• Who have an extreme sexual relationship with each other

• Mostly everything was all about him throughout the movie

Rate ⅔

The Mako Mori Test:

• The one female main character which is Ana.

• She doesn’t gets her own narrative arc because in the movie we as the reviewers what it was like growing up like her boyfriend.

• This is about supporting a man's story by his success and background of his life.

Rate ⅓

My anti-gender movie Test:

• Ana doesn’t have too much of a meaningful role other than being Christian’s girlfriend.

• Christian supported her as she was graduating in college.

• The majority of the movie included Ana and Christian sex scenes which caught the audience attention.

Rate ⅓

Hidden Figures Review:

This movie is about African-American women who worked for NASA in the 1960’s. During that period, it was very hard for women to find a job that is mostly qualified for men. In addition, these women were African-American so of course it was harder for them to get the exact job that they deserve working with NASA. An African-American woman named Katherine Johnson was the smartest mathematician within the entire company. However, with her abilities to solve equations she helped NASA stop their racist views towards the African-American community. This entire movie allowed the Caucasians (especially men) have more respect towards African-American people because of her hard work.

The Bechdel Test:

• It has two women in it who are Katherine Johnson and Mary Jackson

• The women talks to each other about mathematical calculations

• The majority of the the movie was about space

Rate 3/3

The Mako Mori Test:

• It has a least one woman in it who is Katherine

• This female character has her narrative arc as to how she help figure out the proper calculations to orbit a spaceship around Earth. As a result, it was a success.

• The entire movie supports an the first African-American women working for NASA resolving a critical issue in space for the country.

Rate 3/3

My anti-gender movie Test:

• Katherine was one of the many African-American women to play a role as a brave woman working with a lot of men trying to get the first man to reach the moon.

• Once, she proved how accurate  her calculations was to the person in charge of NASA everyone respected and supported her work.

• There wasn’t a sex scene going on throughout the entire movie to get more audience to watch this. Instead this movie was a good movie by actually demonstrating history that was never told about African-American women in the 1960’s working for NASA.

Rate 3/3

Conclusion:

Twilight and Fifty Shade of Grey is a romantic movie that include the women’s lovers to be in control of everything that they do. However, Hidden Figures is about an African-American woman changing the mindset of Caucasian men and women underestimating intelligent smart african-American women like herself. While Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey get their high rating from the sex scenes and romantic drama Hidden Figures got the high rating from seeing a woman making history with science. How come we can not have people play roles like this in any genre of movie to get the best rating? With or without sex scenes, sexism, and homophobic insults throughout the movie?

Sites:

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mori_test

https://bechdeltest.com/