Keeping the Patriot Act

Although many people think that the Patriot Act hurts us, in the minds of many others, it helps us more than it hurts us. On September 11th, 2001, terrorists exploited our weaknesses and committed an unforgivable act when they flew the planes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon and aimed for the White House. The Patriot Act helps us cover up those weaknesses so that something like that doesn’t occur again. Sure, the threat from al-Queda is gone but that doesn’t mean we should take away the Patriot Act because of that, al-Queda isn’t the only terrorist organization out there. 

There has been a number of terrorists plots stopped thanks to the Patriot Act that most people don’t here about since if you look at the charts for violence in America compared to the other countries, America tops most charts for having the most violence.  There are many other examples since it helps the government keeps tabs on potential terrorists and even if its not many people that protects from being hurt, its still protecting people. If “lone wolves” are out there, America needs some way to make sure that they aren’t still working with the terrorist organizations outside the country to attack America and this is the most effective way since it allows the FBI to tap their phones so that they are in the loop. 

Although it is a breach of privacy, the need for tightened security after how a security breach on 9/11 turned into the most horrendous experience for Americans in its recent history shows how much we took our freedom and lifestyle for granted if it can be attacked that easily. In other words, you can say that giving up a some of your privacy should be okay if it can stop someone from turning in a terrorist and blowing up something, killing lots of people.