Keystone Pipeline Monologue Project -- Raekwon Smith & Brian Birkmire

Monologue #1:

Title: Cropped From the Picture

(John Lucas III Lives in texas and the pipeline is going to force him to leave and give up his his land for the pipeline to run through)

(Walking towards mailbox)Let’s go get the mail, hmmmm what’s this, from your friends TransCanada, (talking and walking towards table) let me sit down cause last time I checked they ain’t ma friends. ( mumbles reading letter) WOOOOOOOW aint that something. They tryna destroy our land and pay us for it. TransCanada that big company up north think they running stuff up in here. Those Canadian’s think they slick don’t they. Well I got something for em, A BIG FAT NO. I can’t believe this BS. Our family has lived on this farm for decades and a few thousand dollars isn’t going to change that. My great great great Grandfather brought this land years ago with my great great great grandmother. They built this farm from the ground up into what it is today. People think it’s all about the money and people will do anything for it, well newsflash, people also have morals! Myself and others care about family values and don’t let money change us. There is no chance in hell I’m letting someone take my land let alone a non American. I didn’t really care about this little project they had going on anyway but this did it and now, I’m ANGRY. I was going to stay out of way but, noooo those Idiots just had to run through our land. Why not the Taylor’s from across the way. I never liked them but I guess what goes around comes around. I’m just so mad that this is happening. If my grandfather was here today I believe he would feel the same way and be fighting for our farm to stay just like me. Back in the day, the Taylors who where big names in the town tried to kick us off my land, My grandpappy didn’t give up when they came a marching so I shouldn’t either. If I’m going to keep the family tradition going then I’m going to need to some help. Maybe if I call all my cousins and siblings maybe it we could do it but only if we put forth our best effort. I will put my life on the line if it means this farmland stays here. I want my grandchildren to be able to witness their ancestors work 1st hand.(Stands up and says it loud and proud) So when them rich Canadians come marching down here tryna act like they tough, I’m fittna put up the fight of my life. Although on the other hand that money could supply more than taking the cows and crops to the market every week. (Slaps self in face) Snap out of it man don’t think that way. Grandfather wouldn’t condone this type of thinking. He would march right on up here out of his grave and smack me around like a little kid. Then again, this money could change my life and I could actually leave this farm because the family tradition kinda sucks. I want a normal life where I don’t have to wake up every morning at 5am. I could get a normal sleep and I could work a normal job. I might even find true love and not some blind date my cousin joey set me up with. This girl Stacy I met on eHarmony wouldn’t want a farmer as a husband. No no no I can’t let greed and love consume me. I need to follow in my ancestors footsteps and maintain our land, it’s the only way. That’s final, I’m going to fight for our land. This Company wanted war, (Yells it) Well I’m going to give them war. May the best man win and may God have mercy on your soul. Time to get ready to enter battle because I will emerge victorious, I guaran-damn-tee it.

+Passion
+Don’t make it so obvious
+Dialouge
+Emotion
+Personality
+Had a life
+Second Thoughts
+Transition
+Stories to tell about grandparents

Monologue #2:
Title: Skating On Thin...Oil?

It’s been what, about two months since the Flyers traded me to the LA Kings? (Walking to the locker room) That’s all it took, two months for people to try and get me to do things I don’t want to do. It all started in my interview with ESPN (Hand on chin as if you’re thinking) when they began to ask my personal opinion on the Keystone Pipeline and whether it should be built or not. They asked because...well...the pipe was going to be built straight through my hometown. At first, it didn’t matter to me, but when I found out it was being built through MY hometown...my view on it changed.

After my interview with ESPN I was stopped by my manager, he stopped me with simply a hand up on my chest. He wasn’t finished on the phone.

Who was that? Tell me what?

He told me I had to promote the pipe, and I’d get money from the TransCanada company.

“First of all, won’t people think of me as a hypocrite? I just told people on national television that I don’t agree with the pipe now they’re going to see me on posters and billboards agreeing with it?! (slam fist on bench) Great, this is just great.”

Today was the live news broadcast, the day I would become a hypocrite.

“Hello everyone. As you know I am Simon Gagne of the Los Angeles Kings hockey team. I’m here today to discuss the Keystone Pipeline that TransCanada is going to built. Now I’m not that prepared to talk today, I didn’t have much time to think about things. But here it goes...” I started to pull out the paper (pull paper out of pocket) my manager handed me. As I pulled it out I looked over to my manager who was smiling and then at the CEO of TransCanada who nodded his head in a mafia, thug, kind of way.

“...So the pipeline. What it can do for us as Americans is provide about 4,000 jobs...and...and...” I was choking up. This all just didn’t feel right. The crowd was silent waiting for my words to pierce their ear drums.

“...Forget this. If I’m going to talk about this STUPID pipe I’m going to give MY opinion. This pipe has to be the worst idea ever created, big deal we’ll get more jobs, half of America is too lazy to even work anyway. You go to a restaurant or store where the lady or guy is rude or disrespectful and obviously they seem they don’t want to even be there working, then get rid of them and give that job to someone that is willing to work and NEEDS the money. These tar sands release 3 times as much CO2 as regular oil drillings, why is that a positive outcome? Oh my mistake it’s NOT! Do you not see the world’s climates changing as we speak? In the long run the world would be completely destroyed! Climate change will be the main problem in this world! Now if you’re with me, then be with me! Be against this pipe, against TransCanada, and join my side in stopping this pipe from being built!”

The crowd was silent...but...within seconds, there was a roaring thunder of clapping from everyone.

+ Message across
+ Emotion
+ Rebellion/personality
+
? Develop more on why Hockey player
?

Monologue #3
Title: The Opportunity

“Yes, I’m here to apply for a job.
...Okay...fill this part out? (reach for paper) Okay...bring it back when I’m done? Okay thank you.”

I sat there filling out the job application. Name: Cosmo. Height: 5’11. Eye Color: Brown. Birthday: June 22nd 1983. Address: 610 Walnut Street, Topeka Kansas. Health Problems: None. Allergies: None. Worked with welding before? No.

This form felt like it had a million questions on it, that, or I just haven’t filled out a job application in years.

“Here you go. (Hands paper to person.) Thank you. When will we hear from you if we got the job or not? About a week? Okay. Thank you. Oh Ma'am, will I need to go through training? For welding only? Okay. I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions, but will there be many jobs open? Over 4,000? Awesome. How long is the Pipe? Okay. Thanks again. Good bye now.”

Wow. 1700 miles long...that’s incredibly long. If I get this job, I wonder how much I’d be paid.

(Opens door)

“Hey hun. How was your day? Mine was good. I have good news. Care to hear? Alright so, I went down to the community center today and guess what I saw? That’s right! A poster for job applications! You ask what about? I will tell you baby! It’s an application for a welding job. There’s supposedly a pipeline being built from Canada to Texas, 1700 miles long offering 4,000 plus jobs! Babe! This can be our chance to get away from our finance troubles, this is our opportunity to get free from the constant letters coming in about us not paying our bills. The pipeline will carry oil from these things called tar sands in Canada. I know baby! I love you so much!”
I felt this was the chance god gave us. The feeling that he put us through the poverty to give us this opportunity.

About a week later I received a phone call.

“Hello. Yes I remember applying. Wait...I did? I got the job?! Thank you so much! When do I start!? OKAY! I will see you monday at 6! Thank you for this, my future will be brighter now, for my wife and I.”

“Babe! I got the job!...Yeah! They just called! I start on Monday, 6 AM.”

Monologue #4
Title: Oil Addiction...My Life From the Pipe.

Hi guys my name is Lakely and I’m an oil addict. Two years ago Oil was introduced to me by a pipeline by the name of Keystone who spilled hundreds of gallons of oil that I soaked up and became highly addicted to. For 2 years i was doing 10 gallons of oil a day. It really messed my life up, all the people I ever loved started to leave me because I was contaminated and they couldn’t live with me anymore.e  I promised myself that i wouldn’t get addicted to oil because many of my famous family members like my cousin red deer, and my other cousin Red butte became oil addicts. Yeah I know my family likes to name their children Red blank. Anyway, the oil just made me feel so warm and feel good. I didn’t care it was hurting me I just knew all my troubles were being washed away. My life was stressful up until I found oil, I was carrying different boats across me everyday and having fish and ducks and what not swim and you is no fun at all. The day the oil spilled in me I was having an argument with a Duck named Bill about how the chicken came before the egg. Keystone was flowing over me and then it just busted open and just spewed all of me. I was like “woah dude, what is this. And Bill was like “I don’t know but this is gnarly dude” I’m sorry about the sound affects but it makes it sound more interesting. So now I’m sitting with my friend Bill snorting oil and my friend Bill say’s to me “Hey, do you know what this stuff is” to my response “ I don’t know Gasoline” and Bill says “ this is the stuff they call oil.” That’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks that the high was setting in. I was now hallucinating because I was now seeing Dolphins and Sharks making babies. After that day I did anything I could to get my hands on oil whether it was stealing my friend Bill’s oil or sending other lakes to get my oil. So guys as you can see this experience is one you can learn from and Keystone oil really was a bad idea. Thank you for listening to my story.

Monologue #5

Title: Work Hard, Bulldoze Hard

It’s another day at work on this pipe. There is 1500 more miles to lay down. I’m stationed here in Texas. I’ve been operating bulldozers since I can remember. My dad was a construction worker and he would sneak me to work and let me play with the equipment trying to hide me from his boss. “Hey boss (turns off bulldozer) this is a lot of work. I’m not making enough to support my family and I may need to work overtime. Why not, what you mean it’s not enough hours to go around. (pause for 5 seconds) Thanks you’re really nice. (turns machine back on) Well thanks, I think I should get back to what you’re paying me for.

I went back to work for the rest of the night. I finally got done at midnight. I was starving. A few of my coworkers and I went out to the diner about 10 minutes away.

“Today was hardcore. I know... I asked the boss for some overtime. Yeah he gave me some, me and Amanda are having troubles with money...she said...she’d leave me...if I couldn’t support us. I know, she’s... I don’t even know.” I’m glad I got this overtime though because without it I would be doomed. Well dinner was great man, Imma bounce and let y’all handle the check. I’m out.

When I got home I talked to my wife about my overtime. Hey babe guess what, no babe don’t be silly. I got overtime so I can make more money for us. Yeah I won’t be home as much now but it will only be for a few days. I love you to.

The project was about the Keystone Pipeline and how it was going to carry oil from Canada to the Southern parts of the U.S.A. Some people were for it getting built and some were against it. In Class we brainstormed about monologue ideas and the people or objects we would portray. My partner and I chose between the ones we brainstormed our 5 best combined. We chose the following 5; A canadian hockey player, a bulldozer operator, a jobless man living near the construction site, a farmer whose land will be plowed through, and the a water droplet infected by the oils from the tar sands.

My partner and I learned a lot from this project. We learned all about the negative outcomes and positive outcomes of building this pipe. The negative outcomes we learned were tar sands release three times the amount of CO2 as regular oil drillings causing more global climate change. The positive outcome(s) we learned were, safe oil transferring within America, and also this can help America’s debt with third world countries.

Background -
- 1700 miles long
- The United States spends 475 billion on oil a year
- It will Cost $7 billion and carry an estimated 800,000 barrels of oil a day.
____________________________________________
- construction will begin in the “first quarter” of 2013
-

Argument for:
- 1300 Construction Jobs
- cheap, reliable energy
_____________________
- TransCanada has received lots of support behind the project especially from those who are American and Canadians that work at oil refineries who signed 17 to 18 year contracts to ship over hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil per day.
- the Gulf Coast portion could cost $2.3 billion and create about 4,000 construction & support jobs
- provide energy security within the U.S.

Argument against:
- Tar Sand Oil not clean
- Climate change throughout years
- Have to destroy the planet just to get tar sand
- Brazil mines have 2.3 million barrels a day
_________________________________
- Tar sands are a high-carbon fuel mined from beneath Canada’s Boreal forest.
- in order to collect oil from the tar sands companies must destroy forest systems
- Tar sands mining effects: Canada’s forest systems, huge clean water systems, and disrupt people’s lives that live in the area.
- tar sand extraction emits 3 times more than the average oil extraction in America
- Extracting the fossil fuels from the tar sands from the sand, silt, and clay requires massive amounts of water, 3 barrels of water make one barrel of oil collected.
- pipe goes right across water supplies (pipe could leak)
-

Good monologue:
- natural way of speaking
- emotion ---> want/need
- one speaker
- unfolds ---> beginning, middle, end
- setting
- tension
- CONFLICT

12 ideas:
- be a bulldozer
- grain of tar sand
- canadian hockey player
- someone living near the construction zone
- somebody in Oklahoma waiting for the pipeline to help work on it (jobless)

RESOURCES:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/k/keystone_pipeline/index.html?8qa