Kimberly Cayamcela's Benchmark Reflection

this is my contribution to the project: ​https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/cast-your-vote/home/position-paper
this is where you can view the project in its entirety: https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/cast-your-vote/home

• How did your group go about making a decision for what to focus on for the project?
    Well, I was absent the day my group chose what the focus was going to be for the project. I would have chosen something different than focusing on felons, perhaps giving the right to vote to immigrants or sixteen year olds. But, throughout the project the thought of giving felons the right to vote grew on me. 
  • 11th grade Essential ? - What is the role of the individual in creating and sustaining change? 
    The role of an individual in creating and sustaining change is: being able to point out what is needed to be changed within oneself- not by having someone else point out what is needed to be changed- as well as sticking to what they choose to change by believing in oneself and not giving up. 
  • How has your understanding of the electoral process and whether or not the US is a democracy evolved during this unit?
    My understanding of the electoral process was not as enhanced as I hoped for it to be. I didn't question voters about the electoral process because when I interviewed them they seemed to not be interested in politics. But, I feel as if America is losing its label of being called democratic. The voter turnouts through out the years have not been high. This project helped me realize what kind of people it is that don't have the right to vote. If America is a democracy, everybody living in this nation should have the right to vote! 
  • How did you decide to best relay a message to a national audience with your marketing campaign?
    was in charge of writing the position paper. In the beginning I found it difficult to write it due to not agreeing to what I had to write about- how felons should have the right to vote. When I think about felons I think about all the crimes I can possible think of. I started out with "they shouldn't be able to vote!" to "they should be able to vote!" after my research. And so after actually agreeing with what my group said, I began write the position. What I tried to include in the position paper as best as I could was facts to support the main idea. I thought that by doing so the audience would be convinced and agree with the idea of giving the right to all felons of voting.