LangAuto/Reflection/video-jschwartz

I liked the project a lot and I was able to express how I feel about this topic well.  For this project I needed to bring up an issue relating to language identity. Many people had different ideas, because this subject could be divided into many groups. I had an easy time describing myself and making descriptive scenes. I had a tough time picking what language identity topic I would describe. I learned a lot obviously that language effects us but language really does effect us in ways we don't know sometimes.

Language has been used for thousands of years as a way to spread ideas and thoughts. It has been developing for millions of generations. It will always travel through cultures and sub-groups and evolve to fit them. Although humans created language with symbols and designs, language will ultimately mold us into new beings with different perspectives. Language is a organism that can be divided, stretched, and expanded to create infinite combinations of dialects and slang.

Language will shape us. People create their own languages and those languages rub off onto others. Some people really want this, they like to be different or it might be the only way to be accepted. Others don’t, and can’t help being sucked into it. They are forced to change to fit a situation presented upon them. You can also balance your languages and use them when needed. It’s easier to have that path, where you change the way you talk for different people and situations.

I have been studying Kenpo karate for 9 years now and have recently received my 1st degree black belt. It took me 9 years to earn this second black belt and it came with a unique lingual mindset.

In one of my adult classes, one lady named Philus started to observe the techniques more closely. She is medium height and has short and spiky black and gray hair. After showing her the last few stomps of each technique she shared her observation. "Why does that technique even need that kick at the end?"

I replied, "It can stop the opponent if they try to get back up." She didn't seem satisfied with this answer and made a “pfft" sound and returned to the lesson. The next technique I taught her was called Sleeper, and it's one of my favorites. At the end of the technique you knock the opponent down and punch and knee them on the ground. Philus raised her hand and asked, "Why would you even add that last punch and knee, I couldn’t see myself knocking a guy down and there’s no way I could stay around and hit him again." She continued talking, "Most of these techniques have a lot of extra stuff I think it’s just Kenpo Overkill." I laughed at that, Kenpo Overkill. So did the rest of the class. Philus was completely serious. She brought that phrase up a few times during class, and never failed to make everyone smile.

I mostly use this phrase when I'm in a class with her. When ever I say it to her she immediately becomes interested in the conversation, and fills with energy. It's easy to acquire new forms of language when you expose yourself to new learning environments. The people around you always have an effect that can stick with you for life.

This scene reminded me of Amy Tan’s, “A mother Tongue.” Tan, Amy. Harvard, "Home is were the heart dwells." Last modified 2/06/2006. Accessed January 5, 2012. http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/guorui/2008/02/06/mother-tongue-by-amy-tan/. “And my mother was standing in the back whispering loudly, ‘Why he don’t send me check. Already two weeks late. So mad he lie to me, losing me money.m. ” Another character in the essay speaks “And then I said in perfect English, ‘Yes, I’m getting rather concerned. You had agreed to send the check two weeks ago, but it hasn’t arrived.’” Amy Tan spoke this way to prove a point. She wanted to be well understood by the person. She spoke in a clear and easily understandable way so the other character could understand her. When I speak the language accepted by the person I’m speaking to, I can be taken more seriously, then if I spoke in a more personal way. This is why I spoke in Philus’s “language.” She does accept standard English, and she speaks it most of the time, but her standard English will have small changes to match the situation, just like mine. I can speak English, but everyone interacts with different people, those people will all give you certain characteristics in your speech that will stay with you, ready for you to use them when needed. Philus was able to create her own language with English roots. I joined her to connect with her and adapting to another person’s way of communicating is usually a very good way to spread an idea.

Every time a new person is created a new mass of languages will be created. Many people don’t understand how hard they try to be accepted. People want to have companions, friends, and family. There have been countless times where my language identity has changed. As long as I continue to meet new people with different ideas and thoughts, I will always take qualities of each language and create my own. My version of the widely excepted Standard English language is just a combination of thousands of voices that I can now use. No matter what other people say, I’m unique and create my own path of life.