Learning from a lesson i didn't do

Juan Rivera                                                       9-20-11

Lesson Learned From Others Actions

Nobody picked up the phone that day, but luckily he left us a message.

“ Hey pop, umm… Well I am in trouble at this moment, I am locked up in North Carolina because the State Police stopped my car on the highway and they found 5 pounds of drugs, umm… when you get this message can you please try to contact me, because I need someone to bail me out.”

I was in the dining room when my mom checked the message. Afterwards, she knew what we had to do.

“Go to “Tito” he has the $200,000 to get me out, okay well I have to go. Love you guys hope to hear from you soon. ”

My mother’s reaction wasn’t so big because my brother wasn’t really her blood son; he was a son in law to her so it didn’t really affect her as much as it did my dad. My dad wasn’t so happy but wasn’t surprised at the same time, because this wasn’t the first time my brother got locked out for this same reason.

So since my dad wasn’t caring much about the situation my mother, sister and I had to do what was right, which was to get it back home. My Mother contacted my sister Glori. She was stunned by the news and told us she would be at our house in 5 min. So she had to travel from her job and come and save her brother from what had happened. This news had just affected everyone. There were people crying and sad, but I tried to be the strong one and keep my composure.

On our way to the Mail Place, I would look back to the days I had with my brother. I would look at the days we spent together, when we were all happy. The days where he would take me places even if it were little rides around the neighborhood, or to the movies, or the mall. I also thought back of the family dinner we used to have and the moments where him and me were the party people in the family. They were good moments for me and I had enjoyed every minute I could have because I knew that wonderful moments don’t last forever.

As we got to the Mail Place, there was a sign saying that the store would be closed in a manner of minutes. So this puzzled us as we were waiting for Tito to get there with the money. But luckily the lady that was in charge that day had to go use the bathroom, so that bought us a lot of time to get the money. Next thing we noticed was Tito and his friend walking into the Store and handing us an envelope with all the money in it.

From this moment that I had with my brother, even though it never happened to me and I never got into this kind of mess, I know what type of life it is, and I make a promise to not only my parents but to myself that I will always do better than he did. I am going to make my life a better place not only for me, but also for my family to come and for my friends. And hopefully my dreams would come true and I can help other families around the world with problems and that need help.

Ever had one of those moments in life when you decide to do something, but never look back and think of the consequences? If your answer is no, well your not the only one. I have never had a moment like this, but in life as you go, you experience things you would never see coming. A lot of people in this world make bad decisions, no matter what age you are. Adults probably make more mistakes than us; they just know how to deal with it. Well the adults that go through it, some might not know how exactly to deal with it so they get stuck in problems and things that only do them bad not good.

Being that the only person I know who does bad is my brother it makes me think and realize that just because he didn’t make any good choices doesn’t mean I cant do different.