Life of Pi Review

Life of Pi is one of the greatest, most mind blowing books that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It was written by Yann Martel who lives in Montreal Canada and wrote this novel in 2001. On November 21, 2012, a movie of the book was made. The movie was directed by Ang Lee and received very good reviews. It is said to be a visually stunning film. I saw the movie and I have to agree. It is very well directed and exciting to watch, and the book is very well written and exciting to read.  

One of the things that I enjoyed about reading the book was that it is relatable to me. In the book, Pi lives at a zoo and is surrounded by animals. Animals, and animal behavior, are main factors in the story. These topics are constantly brought up when Pi has to deal with Richard Parker. Marine wildlife is also incorporated when Pi is in the Pacific Ocean. I am very fascinated with animals, so reading this book is interesting for me. The book demonstrates a few things about animal behavior, such as how they are territorial, and how they establish dominance. There is also a religious conflict in the first part of the book, during which Pi becomes a Christian, a Hindu, and a Muslim. I don’t really relate to this aspect of the story, but it is interesting to read and to think about. 

This book was arguably one of the best books that I have ever read. It is a gripping, page turning survival story that is difficult to put down. One of the books strengths is that it is a page-turner. The plot rarely gets boring. It is interesting to read about Pi’s challenge to survive at sea. He has to find food and fresh water, and establish dominance over Richard Parker in order to prevent him from attacking.It also really makes the reader think about life, religion, and the differences between humans and animals. One of the few things I did not like about it was that it started out a little bit slow and confusing. The beginning was basically trying to summarize Pi’s life. It discussed his life before and after the shipwreck, which got a little bit confusing at times. However the plot was just a bit difficult to follow. The book gets better as it progresses. If I could change one thing about this book it would be to make the beginning a little easier to understand. 

I would definitely recommend this book to others. Including kids, teens, and adults. It can be understood and enjoyed by almost all ages. I would recommend it to people who are interested in animals, like me, and to people who like books about shipwrecks, and people who like books about survival and adventure. In addition this book is great for people who like books that make them think. Even if someone does’t like these kind of books, reading Life of Pi might change that, because it is a book that might make a person start to enjoy reading. 

1012_001