Lit Log #1

“I wouldn’t do it on my own, Just by the way the nurse is taring at me with her mouth empty of words i can see i’m in for trouble, but I cant stop it. Mcmurphys got hidden wires hooked to itm lifting it slow just to get me out of the fog and into the open where i’m fair game, Hes doint itm wires..” In this scene the reader can see how well Kesey used imagery well with their description of how Bromdon felt, I feel like it puts is in his mind for a second. Though not totally clear, we can tell that Bromdon had raised his hand on his own, but he claims to be under the influence of McMurphy. He says that he pulled him out of the smoke out into the open so it’s fair game which could be a reference to his time in service. After the smoke hides you and keeps you safe, you are out in the open where it’s fair game of life and death. This could be what Kesey Meant. My drawing captures that moment mentally of McMurphy pulling Bromdon out of the smoke with wires attached. Although it isn’t what is happening, I have a theory that Bromdon has Psychosis and is hallucinating their whole life he has. If that theory is true then this hallucination could be connected to the way he sees the staff such as Big Nurse and how she changes shape and morphs into monsters, as well as the smoke that we now know is a trauma response safety thing he has gained from serving. As we read on in the book we are hit with the question of’ if McMurphy even has a mental illness or is he just a conman?’ As the reader sees this, this could raise suspicion of whether what he did in this scene benefited Bromdon or not in general. We can connect with Bromdon because were seeing from his view but we also can connect Bromdon to the handmaid’s tale where we didn’t have a reliable narrator thanks to past traumas. If that’s the case here then what if this mental hospital isn’t the place that Bromdon works but where he is admitted? And the fog is just a hallucinogenic side effect from his medicine due to his psychosis? In addition, if McMurphy is a Conman, then what is his goal, and why does this scene seem to be good for Bromdon but somehow make things worse for him? Past this scene, we see how Big Nurse eyes him down because she wonders how he heard McMurphy and then refers to himself as a “fool Indian” to seem less intriguing than the issue starter, Bromdon. What does this scene of freedom for Bromdon Mean? Is the main question that is the idea behind this drawing

20231201_102813 (1)
20231201_102813 (1)