Lobbying for funding for Philadelphia After school programs: Blog post #2

​Natalie Sanchez

Congressman Robert Brady and Senator Robert P. Casey Jr. are two of the several political leaders that represent me and can, quite possibly, support my lobbying case. 

Robert Brady is Philadelphia's congressman. He represents us, District 1 (the city of Philadelphia) in the house of representative. He was born and raised in Philadelphia. Later in his life he became a carpenter and joined both the Carpenter's union and the teacher's union. His main priorities are to defend the rights of veteran officials and other members of the armed forces. Despite his emphasis towards the rights of soldiers, he is pushing to withdrawal American soldiers from Afghanistan. Some of his other priorities directed towards making more laws for the development of Philadelphia and helping people with low economic income. He also supports laws that supply Americans with quality healthcare and prescription drugs. 

Senator Robert P. Casey Jr is an advocate for the state of Pennsylvania in the Senate. His main goals are to create laws that will better our economy, raise employment rates in America, and benefit the children in the same. In the past, he has supported laws that have covered more than 14 million children in America with health care and that work to raise business tax cuts in order to raise the rate of employment in the U.S. He also supports America's  economy and pushed to make it stable. An example of this is his opposition to China's devaluation of its currency,which raises the unemployment rate in America. He wants to help stabilize our economy. 

I feel like both of these political leaders share something in common with me. Robert Brady and I are alike because we were both born and raised in Philadelphia and feel a strong need to help those less fortunate then us. Senator Robert P. Casey Jr and I are similar because we both support the rights of children and want to make conditions better for them in America.

I feel like Senator Robert P. Casey Jr will be more likely to support my lobbying case because he is more concerned with the rights of children than congressman Brady is. Congressman's Brady's interest's are concentrated more broadly on the rights of the citizens of Philadelphia in general, and not specifically of the children of Philadelphia. Congressman Brady might also support my lobbying case, as he works to help people with disadvantages. Some students in Philadelphia are at a disadvantage because of where they live- they feel unsafe in their own neighborhoods. This is what has compelled me to support after school programs in Philadelphia public schools. It might also compel Congressman Brady in the same way. 

Sources: 

http://casey.senate.gov/about/biography/

http://www.brady.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=40&sectiontree=6,40