Lola Akinsola Q2 Artist Statement

I do the work I do because it is what fits most with what I am thinking at the moment. I don’t think about anything else but what I want to do. I may receive certain requirements for whatever project I am working on, but I turn those requirements into my requirements. For this project, we were given the opportunity to choose whatever we wanted to do for the quarter project.

The way I chose my project was pretty simple. I was not done with the project from the last quarter and I was curious to know what it would look like if I had finished it completely. I also wanted to continue the experience of a sewing machine. It took me about four months to complete this bag whereas if I was using an electric sewing machine it would have only taken me a couple of days, one week at the most. I also chose these tools because I have never sewn anything before. I’ve always wondered how well I would do on my first time sewing something together. Using empty Capri Sun pouches, a needle, thread, a hot glue gun, and old bag handles from a different bag, I created a hand made Capri Sun tote bag.

get-attachment-1
get-attachment-1
get-attachment
get-attachment