Macbeth//Creative Project

Chris Jacobs and I, had a great time doing this project. Our video project is a “vlog” or “video blog” based on Act 5 Scene 1 of the play written by Shakespeare’s, “Macbeth”.  Act 5 Scene 1 is the scene that has Lady Macbeth's doctor and her gentle woman watching as she sleepwalks around and talks about all of the many murders Macbeth and her have been responsible for. We decided to make this parody scene a video because we feel as though that's the best way people will understand it and take it in. Adding comedy into the scene will make it more interesting and understandable compared to if we just read in old english, verbatim from the book. This scene is very important because it shows how Lady Macbeth switched up from being nonchalant about the murders to been guilt stricken in her sleep walk. It's also the scene that she confesses her murders accidentally. The scene takes place in her bedroom where her caregivers are watching afar as she walks around talking to herself about the murderers and goes to wash her hands of all the “blood” that is there in her mind, which is a call back to an earlier scene where Macbeth was trying to wash his hands of all the “blood” that represented his guilt about the murders. The blood isn’t physically there, but metaphorically because they feel as though the sin of murdering those people will never go away and they’re stuck with the guilt forever.  This scene affects the rest of the play in a not so significant way in the actual book, but shows the audience why Lady Macbeth committed suicide in the movie even if its skimmed over in the book.  

We decided to do a parody because we found that if we read the lines verbatim it would honestly seem really boring and nobody would want to watch someone just read that considering that scene in general isn't all that visually appealing. We will give the scene a comedic effect so it can actually have something for people to look at and really understand deeply. We tried our best with the environment and props to make the scene as realistic as possible. In drama we learned the different skills of acting so we applied it to the scene. Some of the skills are facing the audience, establishing the environment, having a goal, and projecting our voices. Our favorite part of filming this is how we completely changed the language of the scene from old english to modern American English. We switched up the words a bit so that it still made sense in the context that the original version was, but in a way that more people would understand without it having to be explained. We designed it in a vlog type of video because that’s what a lot of people are doing these days and we feel as though it would be a lot funnier that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMEb424LJw