Macbeth Creative Project: Zachary Sanders and Matthew Nguyen-Conquest

​For me and Matthew's creative project we decided to make a Macbeth themed board game. The game itself, named Conquest, has a decent amount if rules but can be understood if read properly.  Having done research on the time period, we decided to name it Conquest due to the Norman conquest happening at this approximate time.  The goal of the game to be the last castle standing by wiping out the three other enemy castles in a war between the alliances of Scotland, lead by Macbeth, England, lead by Edward, Norway, lead by Macdonwald, and Fife, lead by Macduff.  We chose a war scenario because the play opens and closes with a war, first between Norway and Scotland, then between Scotland and England.  We chose those names for the alliances because for England and Scotland, they were at war at the end, while at the beginning, it was with Norway.  For Fife, that alliance was against Norway alongside Scotland at first, while later they were with England and against Scotland, so they do play a major role in the play.  

On the physical game board itself, there are hexagonal spaces, a nod to early RTS (Real Time Strategy) games that would take place in the middle age.  There is a space for Prophecy cards, which are named so because of the prophecies that Macbeth and Banquo are given during the play.  Thusly, they contain some shakespearean language along with some motifs that are within the play, two of them being the supernatural and blood.  Another theme that is included is the number 3, which is involved multiple times during gameplay, with an example being the number of troops required to gain a prophecy card. At four opposing points on the board are the alliance castles, which are actually indicated by the flag of the Alliance, along with the name of it.  A castle drawing or picture was dropped due to time concerns.  Other pieces that are used are the soldier pieces, which there are ten of them for each player.