Macquest by Xin Yi Zou and Awa Diakite

The board game, Macquest my partner, Awa and I created was based off of the play, Macbeth by William Shakespeare. Our board game “MacQuest” is based off of the quest to find happiness and peace. Our four characters are Malcolm, Macbeth, Macduff, and Lady Macbeth. In Macbeth, these 4 characters are struggling to find a part in their life where they are satisfied. Malcolm has to currently live with the thought of the same man who killed his father, run the country he should be running. Macbeth is in a state where he can’t even come remotely close to having a peaceful life. He is anxious because of the three aspirations the witches showed, plus, Scotland hates him. Macduff lost his family who was brutally murdered by the people Macbeth sent to kill them. He is out for blood and will not be at peace until he gets justice and vengeance for his family. Lady Macbeth is so filled with guilt that she can’t go to sleep without that guilty conscience providing her uncomfort. No matter what “peace” may mean to each of these characters, they will not stop until they get it. Introducing, MacQuest.

Each of the colors of the game pieces symbolizes 4 different things in the play. Red symbolizes the blood from Macduff’s wife and child, he will be the red player. Blue symbolizes Neptune’s water that couldn’t wash Macbeth’s hands after the murder of Duncan, he will be the blue player. Yellow symbolizes the crown for the Prince of Cumberland, Malcolm will be the yellow player. Last but not least, pink symbolizes all the perfumes of Arabia that couldn’t take away the smell of blood on Lady Macbeth’s hands, she will be the pink player.

We chose to use this name for our game because it relates to the theme. All of the characters are fighting their way to the top. The character closer to the finish line is the one closer to peace, which, everyone is dying to have at the moment. For each character, peace is different. For Malcolm, “peace” is vengeance for this father and to rule Scotland the correct way. Malcolm wants to restore peace for his people and carry on his father’s legacy. For Macbeth, “peace” means to be free from worry and anxiety. For Macduff, “peace” means justice/vengeance for his family and to have Macbeth wiped off of the face of the earth. For Lady Macbeth, “peace” is to be free from all of the guilt from accompanying murder and keeping the secrets of Macbeth’s murders to herself. As long as these four are cautious on their journey, they will be able to finally be at peace. So, who will be the one to get the peace that they so desperately want?

Instructions/Rules of Macquest:

• Players can choose to who goes first, but it has to go in a clockwise direction.

• Everyone starts at the start space on each corner of the board game according to colored game pieces.

• Whoever goes first must pick a card from “?” deck

• If you answer the question correct, you are able to move the amount of spaces written on the card.

• If you land on a challenge spot, you must pick a card from the challenge deck

• If you answer the challenge question wrong, you must move back 2 spaces.

• If you answer the challenge question correct, you are able to move the amount of spaces written on the card.

• A different player reads the question from the card and you answer.

• Players win when all of their game pieces are in the finish line.