MADE IN JAPAN.

​Have you ever looked at the label on the back of your food at the grocery store? Most of it is “MADE IN CHINA” and then what’s the next leading brand you’ll see if you pick up the next item across from your product? “MADE IN JAPAN”, especially in supermarkets. But ever since the radiation leak, tsunami, and earthquake that happened in Japan, consumers are reluctant on buying products from Japan.

Let's start off on the history of Japan's exports and imports with different countries. In the 1980s, Japan had one of the largest economies in the world. In fact, the second largest with the Unites States being the number one in the world. The reason they were the second largest is because they had tremendous stock and property to sell in the 1980s. Though when the 1990s came along, Japan's stock and properties sold began to decrease and this became the slow but heavy decline in the once great Japan's population. Ever since the 1990s, Japan has not been able to get themselves out of their decline and in the 2010; China surpassed Japan in its economy. At the start of 2011, Japan's credit ratings company, Standard & Poor, gave the country a huge reminder of what has been bothering them for the last decade by decreasing the debt Japan owes.

Meanwhile, many people are seeing the dramatic shortage of exports and imports of Japan. This is because of the power outages, radiation levels in certain areas, drowning, and damage of property all caused by the quake and tsunami resulting in a trade discrepancy in April, May, and months to come. The March 11th quake and tsunami devastated the economic activity in the world’s third-largest economy. This caused Toyota Motor, Honda Motor, Nissan Motor, and Sony to have a factory shut down. Many farmers, businesses, and factories had to pack up and leave their job because of the damage done to Japan’s Nation.

In my next blog, I will bring my focus on the food in Japan and what farmers are saying about their crops and what they had to do. I'll even include a story each from a grocery consumer and a farmer.

Until then, Ellen TO 

Sites: