Make Economy Better

Make Economy Better

Trash is everywhere, no matter where people go. The amount of waste on the streets only increases, day by day, especially in the streets of Philadelphia. As a well known city, Philadelphia gets many visitors everyday. They flock to Philadelphia’s Old City to many other historical places like the Liberty Bell, The Betsy Ross house, and etc. Being able to live anywhere is nice, except when having to deal with the trash no matter where people go. Driving or walking around Philly, it is common to find places filled with trash, or places that are trashed up. These places have a negative impact on the city. If citizens were to own up to their actions and be more environmentally conscious, then Philadelphians would not feel discouraged as they trudge through old wrappers and cigarette butts. Developing a way to stop citizens from littering is the best way to improve the economy.

Walking around in Philly, people will find that there is a lot to observe. One thing people realize is the excessive number of homeless people. Homelessness is one of the reasons as to why trash exists in the city of Philadelphia. The homeless are constantly carelessly throwing away trash on the street. The people who do not have a roof over their heads have nowhere else to place anything besides on the streets, creating more and more trash. Philadelphia also has a 25.7%  of those in poverty, which is the same as ¼ of the population being in poverty. It was stated by Tony Abraham that the city does not have enough resources to provide more shelters. If Philadelphians had more care for the homeless then the city would be avoiding a great amount of trash laying about the streets. This will also be helping the economy and benefiting the homeless because it will create a cleaner space for them to live in. Without the trash that is partially created by them, it will help reduce the amount of trash in the world and provide better for the economy.

The reason why littering negatively impacts the economy is because there are different types of littering, from marine to land littering. Philly has great sites and places to visit and observe, but destroying all that the city has by putting waste into the locations, only makes the economy and living things go bad. The wildlife is highly impacted by the trash and the littering people create. The wildlife assume the trash they come across is safe for them to eat, although it is not. If wildlife is being destroyed, that also means the water people drink would have to go through more to be filtered, possibly resulting in a higher cost for water filtration.The rate at which people throw out food in the United States is alarming and also contributes to overflowing landfills. People do not want to find themselves living within their discards, and that seems to be the fate if people do not become more aware of the environment. If this was avoided, the economy would be more organized and healthier.

Diseases are beginning to spread. Dirt and trash are spreading in the air more frequently. With the trash Philadelphia has, it creates breathing problems for certain people. The dirt and trash are not only causing damage to people, but also animals. There are trash being thrown in rivers and other bodies of water as well. A very known river in Philadelphia, which is ẗhe Schuylkill River, is to be considered a dirty river. Trash can be seen in the river as people walk by it. It affects the water quality and also the air quality. Littering causes pollution, in which an article on a website called Philly mag, talked about pollution. ¨Here in Philadelphia County, the Air Quality Index, a color-coded scale that the EPA helped develop to show days when pollution is higher, shows that we have an average of 34 “orange” high-ozone days a year—meaning Philadelphians endure over a month’s worth of days during which the air is decidedly unhealthy to breathe.¨ This shows the statistics on how polluted the air is for people living in Philadelphia, and how it is unhealthy for people. If littering was reduced, the city of Philadelphia and the citizens would not have as big of an issue with this. Homes and sites would not be destroyed. The economy would be better improved.

Making the economy better is a possible solution to improve the health for residents of Philadelphia, and improving the pollution in the air. This can happen by citizens being able to own up to their actions and be more environmentally conscious. Then, Philadelphians would not feel discouraged as they trudge through old wrappers and cigarette butts.

Works Cited

Ricci, Dana. “Dana Ricci.” Philadelphia Magazine, 25 Apr. 2012, www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2012/04/25/tenth-polluted-city/#G7xDR1yQEpwrqrXj.99.

Revermann, Susan. “How Does Littering Affect the Environment?” How Does Littering Affect the Environment? | Education - Seattle PI, 21 Nov. 2017, education.seattlepi.com/littering-affect-environment-6802.html.

“Homelessness in Our Community Affects Us All.” United Way Monterey County, 11 Aug. 2015, www.unitedwaymcca.org/homelessness-our-community-affects-us-all.

Abraham, Tony. “7 Things You Should Know about Homelessness in Philly.” Generocity Philly, 13 June 2016, generocity.org/philly/2016/05/24/homelessness-facts-poverty-youth-government/.