Marina Pyfrom's Descriptive Essay

Marina Pyfrom 

Descriptive Essay

My dad passed away when I was about 3 years old. Since then my mom and I haven’t been the same. My dad and his family are originally from the Bahamas. He used to take me there when I was younger. We haven’t visited the Bahamas, or my dad’s family since his death. There are times where I wish my mom and I could visit again. I miss the feeling of running through the smooth gritty sand or watching the turquoise waves hit the shore, with water so crystal- clear that you can see the nail polish designs on your toes. When I visit places such as Atlantic City or Wildwood I am suddenly reminded of home. I miss getting up early to see the admirable, glowing sunrise that would slowly rise across the sky bringing a beautiful radiant light to both land and sea.

Music, feeds my soul, it helps me in any situation. The soothing sound takes my mind off feeling homesick. To get closer to my Caribbean roots, I listen to reggae. Bob Marley is a well known legend for his life, music, and philosophy. Although he is a Jamaican singer, songwriter, and musician he was important throughout all the islands in the Caribbean area. The rhythm guitarist and the bass drum, make me feel like I'm there, in my home. I remember all the fun moments I had with my mom, when we used to wine to all reggae classics. Now, I rarely see her smile like how she used too. She grins and laughs but I want to see her give me real happy smile!

“MOM HURRY COME HERE I GOT SOMETHING FOR YOU!!” I screamed to the top of my lungs as if someone was killing me. I stood there patiently waiting for my mom, as she sluggishly came towards me.   She snarled and said, “ What is it?  I’m in the middle of something.”   Quickly, I responded saying, “What are you in the middle of?” She rolled her eyes, similarly to the mean girls in high school and said, “I’m the mom don’t worry what I am doing!”   I just laughed because she says that to me all the time. I could tell she was doing her hair because she still had the skinny orange comb in her hair. With a big cheesy smile I said, “Hurry and open this, and then you can back do your hair.”   She grabbed the box and quickly began to tear it open.  Once the box was completely opened, she smiled and began to sing “And we jamming “ and bops her head.

I walked over to the television to replace the picture of a woman and her baby that was behind it, and put Bob Marley’s picture up instead. The woman was African. I can tell by her dark skin complexion, and her garb, which is off-white shaded with a little beige. Her garb does not look like the present time African women attire. She quickly said, “No don’t take that picture down.” I began to feel sad because it was almost like she was rejecting my gift. “Why not”, I asked.   She rudely cut me off and said, “Because you can’t, we will find Bob Marley another place.” I rolled my neck in a circle said, “What, my picture isn’t good enough for you!” She said, “ That painting meant a lot to my mom, your grandmother before she passed, so we never moved it.”  I stared at the painting and it brought up memories of grand mom and me. I notice how the artist puts a lot of detail on her face, especially the eyes. She has thin eyebrows, big round eyes, brown pupils, and long eye lashes.The piece of artwork makes me think of the hardships of single moms out there. Then my mom said “ Its cool Bob coming with me in my room, and then she began singing again, “ I shot the sheriff, But I didn't shoot no deputy, ooh, ooh, oo-ooh” I just sat on the couch and laughed thinking, does Bob Marley really want to see mom when she goes too sleep and wakes up?!

Even though I lost someone close to me, I still find a way to keep a positive attitude. I keep myself engaged in activities that remind of my Bahaman roots. And I try to keep my loved ones close and make them happy. I know one day I will be at my home, The Bahamas.