Martha Robles Language Autobiography : )

“Donde Esta Tu Acento Mijaa?”

“Where’s Abuelita At?” I said searching around the kitchen like a lost puppy left in the middle of the highway to look for its owner.

“In her cuarto unpacking su maleta.” Said mi tia Mariela while washing the dishes faster then any dishwashing machine could

“Horita Vengo, Ima go help her” I said sprinting up the steps faster then titi Mari could realize I was done talking.

“Abuelita!” I screamed like a little girl on Christmas morning and ran to hug her as tight as I could.

“Mi niña bonita como as estado!” she said with a smile warmer then summer 10 days.

“Good! I missed you mucho Buelita!”

“Donde esta tu acento mija!” She said with a puzzled look, her voice sounding disappointed that maybe su niña bonita wasn’t who she was expecting

“Cual acento? Yo No Se” I said almost annoyed that after all these years that’s all she could say. All she saw in me was a Mexican without an accent.

Being that I was born in Mexico I should have an accent right? No! Growing up in the United States it’s been kind of hard living my life the way other Mexican teenagers do. I have different views on things, like to do different things, I dress differently then they do, basically when it comes down to it I would be an outcast I was to live in Mexico. Of course to me this doesn’t take away the fact that Im Mexican, but to other people they consider me a Frijolera Agringada, A White Beaner. If you ask me no I just happen to have grown up in a different country. I only lived in Mexico for 5 years and have lived in the United States for 10, now you try doing that without changing the way you speak.

“I will have my serpents tongue, my woman voice, my sexual voice, my poets voice, I will overcome the tradition of silence” How to tame a wild tongue, Gloria Anzaldua.

Not all people have the honor to say that they speak two languages, and thanks to my dad making me move to the United States I was forced to learn my now second language.  I had to pay a price though, loosing my accent. Yes to me that is a price to pay, of course it doesn’t make me any less Mexican but it takes away something, I wish I had. I wish I had that little accent that distinguishes Mexican English with Standard English. Those different ending to words and feel my tongue rolled out those R’s like a red carpet on Grammy night.  I’ve had different experiences with this where people don’t believe that Im either Mexican or that I was born in Mexico, because of the way I sound. I’m always faced with asking myself does it matter how I sound to determine my nationality or my identity. Some people might think so; other might not, Me Im on the border. At times yeah I think that what makes a Mexican is their accent, others days I think that what makes someone Mexican is themselves. Themselves, their customs, their believes, their views on things.

Mario: Are you sure you Mexican?Me:Duh, Why wouldn’t I be?Mario: It just dont sound like it.Me: O. You A-Hole!

“Chicano Spanish sprang out of the Chicanos need to identify ourselves as distinct people” How to tame a wild tongue, Gloria Anzaldua.

I think that at times Mexicans teens that grew up in the United States are put down for not dressing Mexican, acting Mexican, or sounding Mexican. People judge us without even thinking about what made us like this. Growing up in an entirely different country we face challenges. One of them is being able to stay true to out culture and keeping it alive within us. I refuse to forget who I  truly am on the inside, Part of being Chicanos, is Being able to accustom to a different country, different traditions and different people surrounding me and still being able to stay true to my Mexican side is what makes me a Chicana Sin Acento!