Mary Altamuro - Second Quarter Art

​ For the second quarter, I started off well, but then started to lack direction. In the beginning of the quarter I steadily worked on my "doodles." They're just an arrangement of swirls that always seem to come from my hand when I'm not paying attention. I decided that it would be a good idea to actually focus on drawing them and make something of them rather than leave them as scratches on the bottoms of homework assignments. I simply used a marker and let my hand go. I really like the way they turned out. To me, they give off a sort of "whimsical" feel. I really enjoy feeling that when I look at my work.

Every year, since I was (believe it or not) one year old, I have been making handmade Christmas gifts for my family. When I was younger, my mom would put together some Christmas-themed craft for me to produce for the masses, but as I've grown older, I've begun to create the projects by myself. This year, I made beaded Christmas tree ornaments. I had two different designs: candles, and a snowman. these were very time-constraining to make, but I enjoyed the meticulous and methodical nature of stringing the beads along repetitively. It was very relaxing and a nice way to prepare for the holidays.

After completing that, I didn't know what to do, but I had some artistic work that had to be done for two of my other classes, so I decided to put all that I could into that. I have always wanted to learn how to use Photoshop. I've developed a basic knowledge over time, but I hope to be able to expand that. This quarter, I worked on removing backgrounds and merging pictures. I've learned a few different ways to do these things, some easy, some more difficult, but all useful in their own way. I am very proud of the progress that I've made with Photoshop and am striving to expand my knowledge even more.

For a few days now, my eyes have strayed to an empty Toblerone box by the windowsill in the classroom. I have always been intrigued by the triangular prism design of the box. I had been contemplating what to do with the box. I wanted to use it for some type of artistic purpose, but I didn't know what. Today, on the last day before the art for this quarter was due, I resolved to use the triangular side of the box as a paint stamp. So, I took a large sheet of paper, painted it yellow, and used the box to stamp blue triangles onto my paper in no particular pattern. I'm not at all fond of the piece, and I actually disposed of the painting on my way out of the classroom, but it was still an enjoyable project to work on, especially because I got to use such an unusual medium.
1
1
2
2
3
3
4
4
5
5
6
6
7
7
8
8
9
9
10
10
11
11
12
12