Maryam Biuibrahim food project

Maryam Biuibrahim

Food : rice with shrimp and vegetables.

Recipe:

-1 1/4 cups of rice

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-3 ounces sugar snap or snow peas, stems trimmed and strings removed, corn

-2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

-2 teaspoons olive oil

-8 ounces small shrimp peeled, deveined, and cut in half crosswise

-1 small onion cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices

-4 cloves garlic minced

-2 teaspoons grated ginger

-2 thin stalks celery strings removed and sliced thinly on bias

-1 carrot peeled and sliced into very thin half moons

-1/2 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and sliced into 3/4-inch-long match sticks

-1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

-3/4 cup bean sprouts

-4 scallions trimmed and sliced into 3/4-inch-long matchsticks

-1/4 cup watercress leaves

Nutrition :

Servings:8

Calories per servings:500

Fat:8g

Protein:20g

Time : 45 min

Directions:

- Take a pot and put :

Add:1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:3 ounces sugar snap or snow peas, stems trimmed and strings removed, corn

Add:2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

Add:2 teaspoons olive oil

Add:8 ounces small shrimp peeled, deveined, and cut in half crosswise

Add:1 small onion cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Add:4 cloves garlic minced

Add:2 teaspoons grated ginger

Add:2 thin stalks celery strings removed and sliced thinly on bias

Add:1 carrot peeled and sliced into very thin half moons

Add:1/2 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and sliced into 3/4-inch-long match sticks

Add:1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Add:3/4 cup bean sprouts

Add:4 scallions trimmed and sliced into 3/4-inch-long matchsticks

Add:1/4 cup watercress leaves

- Let all the ingredients cook for 30 min on low heat.

- Then add more water

- Add rice

- let rice cook for 25 min

Analysis:

Research: This food  is healthy because it contains a lot of fruit and i chose to put shrimp because shrimp is very good food you. it contains a lot of protein because of all the vegetable and the corn thats in the mixture. Rice is an excellent source of energy. It is comprised of 77.5% carbohydrate; carbohydrate is one of the human body's two main sources of energy, the second being fat. Like other cereals, the carbohydrate in rice is mainly in the form of starch - a complex carbohydrate, and like other cereals the starches occur in granules in the endosperm.

Rice is an excellent food source, low in fat and high in starchy carbohydrate. Rice is packed full of vitamins and minerals and provides an excellent source of vitamin E, B vitamins (thiamin, niacin) and potassium.At 56 micrograms in every 4 ounces, shrimp is an excellent source of the antioxidant mineral selenium. Recent research studies show that the selenium contained in shrimp can be well-absorbed into the human body. The whole meal is easy to digest and it will keep you full.

Origin:

This recipe is very famous in Asia and thats why most people would eat but the does not mean that other countries don't like the food . In morocco we love rice and we love to put a lot of seasoning in our foods.

Rice is a staple crop and forms the foundation of the diet for many of the world's population, especially those living in Southern and Eastern Asia. There are four major categories of rice worldwide, india, japonica, aromatic and glutinous and it’s thought over 140,000 different varieties of rice, but only a few varieties are grown widely.

Social:

My family really loves this Recipe thats why i Chose to make it because thats all we eat at home and the reason we chose white rice is because we feel that it tastes better.

However the Shrimp can be Expensive shrimp food is expensive over all. Over all I think that this food is cheap and healthy .

Personal reflection:

In the Unit i learned a lot about myself and my food choices, I also learned that some foods that i thought tasted good aren't really that good for my body. The biggest problem with our food system is that they make the healthy foods really expensive and the unhealthy food really cheap and don't realize that people had to survive either way if the people can't afford healthy food they are not gonna buy it. That was exactly my case because i am only a teenager so i don't have the money to buy healthy foods , or “organic” foods . so every time i would go out to eat with friends we would go to a fast food place or get some pizza because thats the only thing we can afford. Of Course i would like to change my diet and start eating healthier but i just don't have the money for it . After i saw the video is class about how chicken grow and how meat is being made, now i don't want to eat fast food so what should i eat? This question will never be answered i just feel that they mad being healthy very hard and that is not helping and is killing the society. I am willing to make some changes instead of buying a pack of candy for a dollar i will buy and apple instead . those are the little changes that make a big difference. that why I love science.