Math Benchmark Podcast #1

(Introduction, Chapter One, and Chapter Two)

Group Members:

Lexy Babcock

Goldie Robins

Jessica Maiorano

Gabby Santaniello

What Our Group Discussed:

We discussed the Introduction, Chapter One, and Chapter Two.

How We Discussed It:

We started from the beginning which meant starting with the Introduction and went in order to Chapter One and then Chapter Two. With that, for each 'section' we talked about we pulled out quotes and examples and really what we individually and as a group got from it. 

Any Points of Conflict/Disagreement In Discussion:

No. As a group we really agreed on our thoughts and what our take away was from the reading was have done so far. 

Questions:

There were questions that were discussed in the podcast which then we were able to answer and discuss further as a group. 

Podcast#1(intro,chp1,chp2)

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

When discussing chapters 3, 5, or 6, incorporate the following article into your discussion:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-lie-with-data-visualization-1563576606

Also, each member of your group should find an article online containing a misleading graph and discuss it during the podcast (be sure to talk about why it’s misleading!). Be sure to include a link to all articles in the text of your post of the podcast that corresponds to chapters 3, 5, or 6.

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

Great discussion. Nice closer, but it does seem like your discussion ends abruptly (possible editing issue?). It was nice to hear everyone contribute. For next time, please respond to the following questions:

1. Choose one of the quotations inside the front cover and discuss how it relates to the Introduction.
  2. Put the second paragraph on Page 18 (“A river cannot….”) into your own words.
  3. Which kind of “average” (statisticians call all three “measures of central tendency”) would give me the best way to compare the performance of two classes of a required math course? Why?