Memoir Vignette Q4 Benchmark Portfolio

This is based off a real life experience I had when I was eight years old. I traveled to the galapagos for the first time. Some of the best days of my life that I will never forget.

Jhonas Dunkain                         My Utopia: The Galapagos Islands                        1/14/11

Red

I can not believe it has been seven years since I was last in the Galapagos. It feels like it just happened a couple of months ago. But there are parts of that memory that have blown away like wind blowing a leaf. But I still remember the things that were most important to me on the trip. The flight to the islands from Guayaquil Airport was around an hour and a half. I did what any eight year old would do; I asked, “are we there yet?” I did that constantly throughout the whole flight to my dad. Imagine the annoyance in his face.

When we landed in the airport it was fairly small. It had a security team, metal detectors, the whole shebang. But it was as small as a motel room. Right after security you walked a couple feet and you were at the entrance of the airport to go to the islands. As soon as you walk through the door you look for the tour guide that has the name of the people that employed him and everything you need to get ready. We waited for other people to arrive and we were off.

First we took a tour of a small zoo. The people of the island let the animals roam free but these animals were found very sick or stranded. The workers of the island put them in the zoo to be cared for and watched over until they were well enough to go free. We saw plenty of tortoises. It seems kind of obvious because the island is known for its vast population of tortoises. There were also magnificent birds like red and blue-footed boobies, frigate birds, and even flamingoes! My eight year old mind could not take all of the exotic colors on all the birds. When we arrived in town the tour guide let us off his “leash” to let us explore the town. My friend Alex and his parents came a long with us to the islands as well as my grandma and uncle Rob. I bought a pair of sunglasses (which I later lost, I was going through the losing everything phase). We walked back to the tour guide who was at the docks. He explained to us the amount of crewmen and the type of boat. I remember it being a yacht but I was not excited about being on a yacht then. Boats were boats and they were all the same to me. But now I think back and… wow…I was on a yacht. We walked the dock which seemed to be old but newly refurbished. The boat was pearl shiny and white as paper. The friendly captain and his crew immediately greeted us. He explained to us everything on the boat and like the sun deck the bar and so on. There were about twelve passengers on the boat.

During dinner we had a world-class chef. Now when I say world-class chef, I mean world-class chef. This guy was the next Bobby Flay. I have never liked shrimp before but his shrimp was exquisite. It is because of this chef I love seafood so much. The great thing about the fish was that it was freshly caught daily by the crew mans spare time when they go fishing. They also had a shrimp net in the back of the boat that had shrimp. That also must have played a big role in the excellent cooking. After dinner, I was exhausted so I went to bed. My grandma offered my dad and I some pills that would prevent seasickness. My dad happily took one, but I, being as stubborn as anyone could possibly be, did not want one. When we got to our room it had a very sweet smell that clogged up your lungs. It was strange to me and my dad later told me it was diesel exhaust from the engines. I slept as well as a newborn baby, with no seasickness. The next day we woke up and immediately went upstairs to greet one of my best friends Alex. We put our feet in the water and when I first touched the clear pacific water…it was warm!!! It was even warmer than heated a pool water; it was amazing, one hundred percent natural!!! Even my dad was surprised by how warm the water was. I was getting closer and closer to my utopia.

Before breakfast my dad challenged one of the crewmembers to a diving contest. Really bad idea dad. He is an excellent swimmer and I thought that he would easily beat the crewman. But now that I look back at it, 36-year-old man who is starting to feel the affects of vs. late twenties man who has probably spent his whole life swimming in the islands. Not very good odds. I have no idea to this day what was going on through his head. My dad took his first pencil tip dive off the boat and into the water. It must have been a good minute before he came back up to the surface. When he got pulled onto the boat he proudly said, “I could make out the bottom.” The crewman smiled a smile that only bad guys in movies smile. He dove into the water in about a minute he came back up. “I touched the bottom” he said while smiling. Everyone was awed by what just happened. I do not know how deep that was but I am pretty sure no passenger on the boat would dare touch the bottom.

After that extraordinary event, breakfast was called and everyone left except for the crewman and my dad. The crewman agreed to teach my dad to the secrets of Ecuadorian diving. I had yet another exquisite meal of bacon, pancakes, and eggs magnifique!! After the last plate was cleared, our tour guide explained to us what we were going to do for the day. We were going to an island that was covered in sea lions. The reason for that is the sea lions just had their young and they were caring for them. But he assured us that there were other things to see. I was so excited, my first island! I went down as fast as a person with ADHD on red bull. I changed, brushed my teeth, and grabbed my disposable camera in a matter of minutes. I, of course, was the first person to be ready and was waiting for other people out on the deck. There were two different black boats that would take us out to shore. When we were close to shore I could make out gold figures and my dad told me they were sea lions. I was so excited, I wanted to just shout at the sea lions to come and get me. We got to shore and they were everywhere. It was like a cockroach infestation. We were told not to touch any of the animals unless they touched us first, or we would have major problems, like being mauled by the head hancho. Who was big, very big, humongous, giant, like, like 5 me’s. We’d have no chance against him. The tour guide said watch out for scorpions or their sting would sting for two to three hours. He pointed them out and I became paranoid. When we reached a cliff he pointed out to us a blue-footed boobies nest. I kind of giggled a little bit for obvious reasons but it was interesting to see. He also showed us bones from baby blue-footed boobies and told us that they were being taught to fly. The mother would take them in the sky and if the bird did not fly, it would die. The next thing we saw were frigate birds. It was mating season for them and they would puff out their bright red chest and would make a drumming noise. It was actual drumming like an African drumming circle. It was insane to see and one of the things I would never forget. The next bird we saw were albatrosses. It was matting season for them as well. When I saw them walk they automatically became my favorite bird, and still are to this day. When it takes a step, its head bends over to the side it is stepping. It is the cutest and funniest thing I have seen a bird do. Also when the male chooses a mate they walked up to the female and they put its long yellow beak next to the females and opens them and closes them very fast. The sound is like two pieces of wood clacking together really loudly. We moved on to the center of the island and we saw pink flamingoes. They were in the lake sleeping eating and caring for there young. I loved those flamingoes. Some were very troublesome, like when one tried to steal a man’s camera. It walked over to us and everyone was in their “oh-my-god-there-is-a-flamingo-walking-over-to-us” mode. The flamingo stood there for a moment, and then quickly grabbed a mans camera as if it were a berry. The man was cursing and shouting in German and it was some sight to see. It is not everyday you see a German man and his friends fighting a flamingo for his camera. The tour guide shouted while waving his arms and scared the flamingo away. We turned around and walked back the way we came to the boats. We went back to our luxurious yacht and had a wonderful meal of fish.

The next day we woke up, ate breakfast, and went to an island with just sand. There were some trees in the middle of the island. But we only stayed on the beach part the whole time. The adults went snorkeling while Alex and I went scavenging. We found some fish bones that had apparently been regurgitated by a sea lion. I had no idea what that meant but now that I know…ewwwwww. We went back to the boat and spent the rest of the day on the boat. In the afternoon I was pretty bored. I put my feet in the magical Pacific water and moved them around. There was a small piece of rope hanging from the side of the boat. I started to wave it around the water and out popped a small sea lion. I assume it was a baby sea lion because of the small size. It grabbed onto the rope and started pulling it. Than I started pulling it, it was challenging me to a game of tug a war. He pulled on his end and I pulled on mine. He lost his grip in a matter of a few short minutes. Than I started to tease him by whipping the rope up into the air and back down, he jumped out of the water and grabbed the rope and pulled it out of my hands and I never saw him again. I hope he’s making good use of that rope because I later found out it was to tie the boat up to the dock.

The last night on the boat, my stubbornness finally caught up to me. I got seasick during dinner. We were having shrimp and blue-footed boobie drinks which were like sunshine in a cup. I told my dad I wasn’t feeling too good. It went something like this: “Dad, I’m not feeling too good.” “Really, what seems to be the…” The next thing you know vomit is going all over my dad. I can not even begin to explain how disgusting that was so I am going to skip the description of the vomit. I could not sleep all night, this goes for anyone, take any measure to prevent seasickness. It is not the best thing to have, trust me on that.

The last day was a very emotional one for me. I had such an unforgettable time with my friend and even to the crewmembers like when they let me play video games with them and I beat them all. You can imagine the embarrassment that they felt. I would also like to thank the sea lion spot for playing with me when I was bored. He had a big spot around his eye and so that is what I decided to call him from then on. We said our last good byes to the captain and crew and the tour guide escorted us back to the motel-sized airport. We said our good byes and thanks to him and I was crying. I did not want to leave. This is as close to a utopia as I have ever gotten, and I had to leave it. We went past security, back to our plane. We took off and I left my utopia for so far seven years.