Menduyarka Samuel Dennis Capstone

​Throughout the year, Ella Burrows, Tamir Harper and I mandated a social movement titled “My Justice Story.” It was moved along with the current events that came to light within everyday society. Gun laws and regulations, voter turnout and registration, political awareness, and official conversation were the main topics that we have come to cover throughout this movement. Our original idea was to have an event with TEDx, which came to a conclusion thanks to a denial for our license. Our next step was a partnership with Ignite Philly, which was a great one, but could not meet our time constraints. During our thinking process, the tragedy that is the Parkland school shooting came into fruition, and ignited students from Frederick Douglass High School to speak out against the policies put in place in regards to gun control. This swayed the emotions of the three of us, and we decided to ignite our own movement, as well as rekindle the movement started by the high school students in Florida. We held our own school walkout, which held a turnout of almost half of the student body at Science Leadership Academy, with news coverage coming from 6abc, NBC, PhillyCam, Vice, Generocity, and more. We held a voter registration drive, where students got the chance to register to vote if they were old enough. We set up a booth which contracted student-written letters to elected officials to encourage them to join students in the fight against gun violence. We recorded stories of SLA students sharing their hopes and experiences regarding gun violence, and crafted a beautiful website that entails the continuation of the movement, with hopes to entice students across the globe to help change gun regulation, and encourage students to get involved within the current government affairs. 

Bibliography Link: Here

Website Link: Here