Mental Health and Covid’s effect on the world

Everyone’s mental health has declined in this pandemic. Even if you feel like it hasn’t it most likely has. Quarantine was a very tough time for the world. We were all trapped inside with nothing to do and we couldn’t socialize. People are still afraid to go out just to get groceries because they are scared of Covid.

Quarantine started on March 13th, 2020. Basically everyone knows this since we all went through it. Mental stress and anxiety percentages have essentially skyrocketed among people in the US and the UK. The US depression rates went from 11% to 42% by December of 2020. By June of 2020 UK depression rates went from 11 to 19%. Psychologists think that we may still have these problems even after covid. OCD and multiple other problems have been caused because of quarantine. There has also been lack of sleep and massive changes in eating habits. Such as people eating more or eating less and changes in diets.

The reason I have chosen this topic is because I was curious about how mental health changed during quarantine. Personally, I was not really affected by quarantine. I had already been very stressed from 8th grade so it felt like a massive break and was very relieving. I had a lot more time to myself but most importantly I got closer to my family. Though my experience was actually mentally helping me, I know others did not go the same. Many people got very depressed and went through multiple changes. People went through different sleeping habits, diets, medicine changes, weight gain or loss, and multiple other things. This was all very interesting to me so I decided this to be my topic. I think that the biggest change personally has been school.

I am very dependent on having school physically. I get distracted very easily and have a hard time learning virtually. I have been very stressed out and due to this my mental health has been changing. I am not depressed but I am often stressed out. I am a lot more anxious about many things now as well. I know that I am not the only person going through this. People all around the world are dealing with these same exact problems. Even people close to me are experiencing the exact same thing. It somewhat makes me feel a little better to know that I am not alone. My friends and family are great motivators. The sad truth is that not everyone has supporting family and friends. Lots of families were affected by covid so people have lost supporting members.

In conclusion, mental health has changed in multiple ways. Some for the better and some for the worst. People now have more anxiety and are scared of the outside world. I hope everyone that is suffering can be healed and get better. Hopefully, these effects are not permanent and recoveries start to happen to people all around the world soon.

This is a chart of mental health changes in places around the world.