Miarra Williams Capstone

Period poverty is defined as the lack of menstrual products and education, which is something many low-income women and girls face every month. I chose this because women all over Philadelphia wake up with their periods, but not everyone is able to manage them. Some women have to use items such as rags, socks, towels, and more in order to manage their bleeding, which isn’t good for the health of their vagina’s. Some women have to ration with the little menstrual products they do have, meaning keeping pads and tampons in for longer than what you are supposed to which could lead to toxic shock syndrome (TSS), a life-threatening complication caused by bacterial infections. For my Capstone I held six bake sales and raised over eight hundred dollars in order to buy menstrual products. I donated these products to “No More Secrets, Mind Body Spirit Inc.”, a non-profit organization ran by a mother and daughter, Lynette Medley and Nya McGlone, who give back to women in Philadelphia who aren’t able to afford menstrual products.

IMG-0490
IMG-0490
IMG-0449
IMG-0449
Miarra Williams Capstone Bibliography