Miguel Rivera Capstone

For my capstone, I focused on self-care. I did this by creating a website that has different aspects of self care like meditation and gemstones. I made the website with research, talking to peers and teachers, and shadowing a dermatologist. At the beginning of my capstone I didn't have a clear idea for my capstone. I figured out my final idea by asking my mentor and other teachers. The capstone process overall was a little stressful because I had to research different careers in the field and the best way to help people. However, I had a good time doing it because self-care is something that I am passion about and wanted to learn more about. I felt that I was about to motiative some people to learn more about their self-care routines and improve my own.

Link to Website:

Bibliography

Buttle, Heather. “Attention and Working Memory in Mindfulness- Meditation Practices.”

Institute of Mind and Behavior, Inc. 32, no. 2 (Spring 2011). Accessed January 23, 2019. https://www.jstor.org/stable/i40158234?refreqid=excelsior%3A2dfe62c9e634f2a8e98dd239f59a6d04.

This journal gives a breakdown of how being mindfulness of one’s actions has positive effects. The most interesting part of the journal was how it describes the placebo effect and placebo impact on people who meditate or use gemstones. Some people do benefit from these practices, but others are just believing them and making themselves happier. This lead to thinking about how I am going to talk about yoga, meditation, and gemstones. I came to the conclusion that my capstone should focus on motivating people to do the actions and believe in it. The key part is believing because it could lead to positive effects or have at least a placebo effect. This journal is reliable because it was published by the Institute of Mind and Behavior and it gives references to the studies at the end.  

Duhigg, Charles. The Power of Habit. Random House, 2012.

This book talks about how habits are form and ways to build healthy ones. I found this book helpful because it allows me to see that I have to think about rewards and timing relating to yoga and meditation. It is jsut enough to teach people how but make them have a plan on when. The best way to achieve this goal is having cues for actions. An example is meditating in the morning. The cue would be waking up and the reward would be feeling calm. This source is reliable because Charles Duhigg has won a Pulitzer-prize and is a reporter for the New York Times for more than a decade.

Epstien, Mark. Advice Not Given: A Guide to Getting Over Yourself. Penguin Press, 2019.

This book talks about ways to think about others and the bigger picture. Reading this book allowed me to see another part of the self-care journey because its focus on ways for people to not only think about themselves. It show me how Buddhism is centered around self-care and getting out positive energies to the world. He went in depth how writing out emotions could be beneficial for some people. It is the best to write with a pen or pencil to feel connected with the writing. This source is reliable because Mark Epstein is a sink and has a medical degree from Harvard. He has study meditation for more than 20 years.

Friedman, Hershel. “Minerals.net.” Ice: The Mineral Ice Information and Pictures. Accessed

January 22, 2019. https://www.minerals.net/gemstone/alexandrite_gemstone.aspx.

This website has all types of gemstones and gives detail about their origin. It is organized by alphabetical order and pictures of the gemstones. Gemstones are something that I wanted to focus on my website. I felt that gemstones can have some positive effects or at least a placebo effect on people. Certain people can be more sure of themselves from certain gemstones or feel more protected. People can feel more conflict starting their health journey with a material object than having to focus on themselves. This website is reliable because it uses other resources and has videos of the gemstones. Also, the website focus on the type of gemstone and don’t directly sell the gemstones.

Harries, Dan. 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress without Losing

My Edge, and Found Self-help That Actual Works: A True Story. London, England: Yellow Kite, 2017.

Dan Harries talks about his self care journey and ways he deals with stress. I found his story interesting because it focus on how an embarrassing moment can lead to grow in a person. Also, he talks about living in a society that overworks and don’t talk about meditation health enough. I found the information about the inner narrator very fascinating because it is something that I felt that everyone has. A voice in your head talking you that you would not be about to do something or try to make you feel bad. This book talked about negative ways to deal with stress such as self medicating or eating unhealthy. I understood that I had to talk about some unhealthy ways to deal with stress.  This source is reliable because it is a biography of Dan Harris and talk about his personal self-care journey. He relates studies on meditation.

Harvard Health Publishing. “5 Ways to De-stress and Help Your Heart.” Harvard Health Blog.

Accessed January 23, 2019. https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/5-ways-to-de-stress-and-help-your-heart.

This website lists five ways to de-stress and relax. I used this website as a jumping point to my research and directing the focus of my capstone. Also, humor was something that I don’t know could help people de-stress. This website leads to thinking about the reasons that people become stress because it talked about not using electrons and disconnecting from the world. That is best to start someone’s self-care journey with small steps like taking a warm bath or listening to music. This website is reliable because it is published by a trusted university and connected to an official report.

Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.

Hachette Books, 1994.

This book talks about the importatnt of meditating. It is know as a contemporary class on meditation. I learn about how people’s actions and thoughts effect everything around them. He talked about how social media and phone overall can be harmful to a person. People should take breaks from their phones and take in the world around them. I found it motative the way the author talks about not letting the actions of others effect your mooded. This allow me to see that the self-cares journey are indivual and focus on building oneself up. This source is reliable because Jon Kabat-Zinn is the founder of the Stress Reduction Clinic. He has written other meditation books.  

“Meditation: In Depth.” National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. January 02,

2019. Accessed January 22, 2019. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/meditation/overview.htm.

This website gave a break down of meditation and it's positive effects. Through the process of making the capstone, I am going to heavily focus on meditation. This website allowed me to have factual information about meditation and the definite of it. I had a loose understanding of meditation and this website gave me a clear understanding. The video on the website was helpful because it showed me a way to talk about meditation. This website is reliable because it is apart of the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. It has references from research papers and articles.

“NAMI.” NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness. Accessed January 23, 2019.

https://www.nami.org/learn-more/mental-health-by-the-numbers.

I wanted to get statics about different people who have mental health illnesses and their effect on society. This website proved that information. I will use this information to inform people why starting their self-care jountry is important and destregles mental issues. Also, it allowed me to understand that natural remedies may not work for everyone and some people have to constrater meditation. I should explain that decision should be discussed with their doctors and it is okay to do so. This website is reliable because it has all of its references at the end of the website and NAMI is a respected organization.

Ted. “9 Ways to Practice Self-care.” Ted. Accessed January 23, 2019.

https://www.ted.com/playlists/299/the_importance_of_self_care.

This website allowed me to see speeches from indiviuals who are in the meditation or self-help flieds. This videos allow me to see how different professionals talk about meditation health and their interactions with audience members. Also, I learned about different ways for people to de-stress and make self-care fun. That the self-care journey embodies every part of someone’s life. Diets, exercise, and meditation health are all part of someone’s self-care journey and need to be addressed. This source is reliable because it has experts who have degrees in their respected field talk about what they have studied. Also, Ted.com is a trusted organization.