Minors Running Away

For my final english one project we were assigned the You and The World (Y&TH) project.The purpose of this project is to learn about a current event that connects to ourselves and raise awareness about the topic by researching and making a positive change based off of the new information learned about the topic of our choosing . For my project I decided to do the DC crisis about the missing Black and Latina girls. In DC the new commander of the Metropolitan Police Department posted pictures of the missing girls and made the hashtag #MissingDCGIrls. Knowing social media is an outlet  to spread news quickly in the 21st century , the hashtag got around to many people all over the country. According to an article found on the Cable News Network Social media responded with outrage that not enough was being done to find the children by law enforcement” I chose this current event because I am a young Black female in this society and to know that young girls just like me are missing and no one was putting as much effort as they could to find them makes me furious. As my research continued I soon found out that the DC crisis wasn't a crisis. By researching the topic more I learned that the commander was just raising awareness of the missing girls. My research has brought me to a extened issue. My official issue is minors running away from home. Minors running away from home is an equally important current event but studies show that there has been no spark in missing persons in DC.

Based off the research I have done so far minors that run away are running from something or someone. There are many reasons on why minors run away from home. A very important thing that young people don't know is that running away is illegal. Most people don't know that running away is illegal , when a minor gets caught running away police can take a them into custody and it will result in having to go to family court. My research so far has impacted me because it taught me new facts about a subject that matters to me, that not a lot of people know enough about. Something that is important to fix this problem is focusing on what is making minors run away. If we focus on who or what is making minors run away as a whole community everyone could help face the problem head on. For the rest of my upcoming research I will be looking into ways to stop minors from running away. Also I will be looking at organizations that help minors get through issues that may lead them to running away. Stay tuned for a second blog post about minors running away. For more information look at my annotated bibliography.

You and The World
You and The World