MPyfrom- Public vs. Private Self

After reading The Scarlet Letter and watching Juno the theme that was most relevant was "Public vs. Private Self." I chose this theme because it applied to the story, movie, and also today's society. For this project, I decided to illustrate an abstract piece of artwork. So I chose to create a crayon melting art piece. On the canvas, I wanted the various colors of crayons to symbolize the use of emotion. So the cool and warm colors represent the different emotions a person can feel by being victimized for being different. Then in the middle of the canvas, I painted a black silhouette to represent the person who has been ostracized from his or her community. Then around the black silhouette, there are words that people may say about you that they feel is true.  It is basically their perception of you before getting to know you personally. The public vs. private theme explains that the external layer of yourself may not necessarily be identical to the internal layer. In my artwork, the words represent what society may view you as versus the real you on the inside. That is why I decided, to add a heart for the black silhouette that says “Misunderstood” because it shows that people may view you one way but your internal character proves you are the total opposite.   
Before starting the creative element to my project, I had to conduct serious research on how to perform the crayon melting method. I watch several videos on art and media websites such as youtube and etc. Soon after, I purchased the materials which were a 18 by 24 canvas and box 64 crayons. The process of completing this project was very time consuming. It took me an hour to paste the crayons to the canvas. After, I drew and painted the black silhouette. Then I had to complete the difficult part which was actually melting the crayons. This activity was very messy, I spent over 40 minutes melting the crayons. Positioning the hair dryer to melt the crayons in a certain direction was challenging because as the crayons began to bleed down the canvas, it would splat in random directions. As I continued, another problem that occurred was the crayons would run on the words I pasted, which ruined them. So at the end for final revisions I had to paint the black silhouette and add the words again.
Although I had face several challenges, I am still very proud of my final outcome. I knew I was I taking a risk with using crayon melting method, but chose to ignore the negatives. For me personally, I love doing creative hands on projects because it allows us to our artistic side show. Also being at SLA, we are so used to creating videos or digital visual representations that we tend to shy away from creative pieces such as paintings, sculptures, and etc. So for this project, I was to exceed expectations and do something different, and I think I achieved my goal. My creative piece was not only visually appealing but also there was a message behind it. I wanted to let the audience see the various emotions a person is victimized due to being different. Although someone is different from you, you still should respect them. However, if I could do this project over, I would maybe add a quote versus using the words. The quote would be related to the theme “public vs. private self.” I feel as though the quote would be more beneficial because it would grasp the audience’s attention and they will understand it  more than the words. One problem associated with creating an abstract piece, is letting your audience into your thought process, meaning they know the direction you were heading in while creating this project. I would have done a better job of letting my thought process be known more so no one was confused about my artwork’s meaning.