MRJ Rubber Stamp

IMG_20170516_201056-01.jpeg

This was my final result for my rubber stamp. It took me a while to eventually end at this as I tried and failed many times. At first I fell into the easy trap of trying to put too much into a limited space and platform. Overall a good stamp gets a quick message across that doesn’t take too much though which I struggled with. I was trying to make stamps that portrayed a story rather than a billboard which you can look at and just understand.

Another problem that came with me trying to convey too much was a lack of positive and negative space. I made a ton of lines which I think is also indicative of how much I was working harder and not smarter. So after finally ditching my idea of making an incredibly complicated staircase with no negative, positive space, nothing I came to this heart. It pretty much my heart with the marks of a basketball, which I know is a shocker!!!! But I mean it. I wanted to get something in there about my family but I think I did a good job of getting my message across and realizing that it is just a rubber stamp. Not my life story. One problem I had with negative space was really separating everything from each other. You can have the background be intended to be negative space but not really be. Also the concept of no lines kind of messed me up but also helps in a way. It kind of stops you from going in too deep on your message like I was trying to do especially with the only possible letters having to be of the bubble variety that helps.