Music (Blog#3)

AGENT OF CHANGE 3
AGENT OF CHANGE 3

Makhi Richburg

Music (Blog#3)

In middle school, I took part in an extracurricular program called Play On Philly. (POP) The program started in 2011 and I’ve been in the program since the first day up until I graduated. I enjoyed everyday of it and I wanted to give back to them by aiding in the learning process of the young viola students. I’ve interviewed my former viola teacher and asked her various question on how music affects the lives of not only children, but how it can have an effect on everyone.

As an agent of change I went back to POP and I was allowed to assist the Viola teacher with her students. The children seemed to have trouble keeping the tempo of the so I became a makeshift conductor and helped them maintain stability. The students didn’t practice either and I could relate to the, because I didn’t practice that much at first either. I gave them advice as to why they should practice and how practice makes perfect. I told them about my time in POP and how the violas were the leaders in the orchestra so that they have to keep that reputation.

I enjoyed helping out the violas. There were no major problems with them and that’s to be expected. POP is a pretty good program and they know what they’re doing; however they aren’t perfect and i was there to meet the kids eye to eye fix the things the teachers couldn’t and they appreciated that. The teacher thanked me and offered me a chance to help the string orchestra the afterward and I accepted. By helping these kids, it made me realize how much I’ve grown and how I’ve gotten better at what I’ve been doing so this whole thing is like a win-win.

If I could do anything better, I would’ve probably taken more pictures and added a video. I’ve pretty gotten everything in check, the program has got everything else covered. This whole experience felt good. I might go back more often just to help out. I might even become an intern there.

For blog 1 click here

For blog 2 click here