Musical Instrument Blog #1

Acoustic Guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU

Acoustic Guitars are played by strumming up and down various strings that produce different sounds. You change the notes by placing your other hand along the top of the string on the metal bars that are called frets. An Acoustic Guitar is shaped like a number eight that is hollow and only has one hole in it which is located at the bottom. When the strings are strummed the sound travels down them into the hollow eight shaped part and the sound bounces off the walls of it to produce a much better sound. Above the base of it there is a long bar like object which has all of the string attached to it and runs all the way from the top to the bottom of the number eight shaped base. This makes me think that I would need something that is very good acoustics and is able to let sound move freely in it. A connection that can be made with what I already know about waves is that as the sound bounces off the inside of the guitar the sounds waves slowly dissipate jus as the energy from the slinky did.