Musical Instrument Blog #1

The Flute:

The flute is an instrument that interests me because woodwind instruments seem fairly easy to manipulate to me. In addition to this, there is a lot you can test as far as sound waves are concerned. They act as a sort of large tuning fork, and therefore testing for them can be done with a fair amount of efficiency. When playing the flute, the player essentially alters the length of the pipe by covering or opening the holes that are spaced over the length of it. This, in turn, changes the note that one plays. So depending on what combination of holes are covered and are not, when the player blows into the primary hole on one end or the other, he or she can play a note, creating different kinds of music. Now the reason for this, presumably, is because altering the length of the pipe alters the concentration of the air molecules. This, in turn, alters the amount of vibration that they are allowed, and the consequence of this is an alteration in the frequency of the sound wave that is released.