Musical Instrument Blog #2

My instrument, a simplified "Hammered Dulcimer":
The instrument is played by hitting strings with a small metal mallet. When the mallet hits the string, it causes the string to vibrate. This vibration sets off a wave in the air molecules - a sound wave. The different strings of the instrument produce different waves, and therefore different pitches. For example, a more tightly pulled string will produce a higher frequency wave, which results in a higher pitch. Important physical characteristics of the instrument include something to tune the strings with, so that I can make sure they produce the right wave frequency. Another important characteristic is the mallet, because that is what causes the strings to vibrate. I think that I need to have some kind of base that will make the sound more audible, but I'm not sure how. Maybe something like a guitar – a hollow wooden construction. I'm not sure. I'm not sure what kind of material is best to use for the strings, but I think I'll use a spool of "string wire". I'll need wood for the base of the instrument and also a stick of wood for the handle of the mallet. I'll need some metal for the head of the mallet. I kind of want to try to use bridges as well, but I'm not sure how those work. I need to do a bit more research into that topic.