My 2020

coming of age project
coming of age project

Creating this piece was such an amazing experience and a great way for me personally to reflect on this crazy year. My first step was to read through a journal I had kept, starting January 1st 2020 and writing in it everyday since. I decided on entries that I thought really reflected my 2020, entries from the day George Floyd was murdered by the minneapolis police, or the day I found out school shut down because of the Coronavirus, or starting high school online, and the last time I hugged a friend before quarantine. I took pictures of all of these entries and with my dads help printed them out, along with a few news headlines that I had found that I thought tied the journal entries together. After I had glued down my journal entries, in a format similar to a timeline of 2020 and added the news headlines I began to annotate my entries, seeing if any predictions I had were correct, and answering questions my past self had about the future, or really describing some of the things I had been feeling at the time I wrote the entry. The final piece I added to the board was an old mask of mine, with one of the straps connected to a headline I had written on my poster board, “new normal” because wearing a mask is the new normal, it’s something that I never leave the house without, so while certain things have gone back to the way they were before the pandemic a lot will never be the same. Being a teenager during this year was so hard in many ways. And I think that my project does a very good job of showing both the good, the bad, and all of my other feelings as a teenager in 2020. Keeping a journal this year was something that really helped me get through some of the bad times and emotions I was having. So I think to use some of those journal entries as the center point of my project really relates well to theme of being a teenager in 2020. During this year a lot has changed and I have had to adjust to a new normal of life, doing this project was such a good way to show all of my feelings and thoughts about this year, and to illustrate the good and bad.

Amal Giknis (Teacher)
Amal Giknis

Kara, it's so awesome that you had a pandemic journal to use as an artifact for this project. Your reflection taps into your personal experience as well as the events that have played out nationally well beyond your immediate scope. I had to zoom way in on the poster to see everything, and it was worth it; the image on SLATE doesn't do justice to the work and concept behind this!