My Book Club, My Barrio

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 6.50.14 AM
Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 6.50.14 AM
*Barrio means neighborhood in Spanish* 

Members of the podcast are Damilola Akinboro, Halle Griffin, Geonni Gee, Valeria Solorio-Arreola, and Kaya Armstrong. 

The book/memoir we read is When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago. It's about Esmeralda who's called Negi going through life mainly Macún, Puerto Rico and other locations. Negi throughout the book changes as person as she grows and when see that journey from the beginning when she's a little girl to when she's in New York at age 13. 

In our podcast our objective was to focus on Negi's character development and explore the important themes and lessons put in this book. Two important themes we've discovered are self-identity and family. In this podcast we discuss the events that happen in the book how they affected Negi. We cover Negi's relationship with her parents and how they've changed through the book. We mostly talked about character for Negi because she's the protagonist and our objective was to talk about Negi and share our thoughts on her and if the message in the book was done right. 

Click on this link below to listen to our podcast.