My Dish: Jamaican Oxtail with Broad Beans

• 1 pound beef oxtail, cut into pieces

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1 scotch bonnet chile pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup canned fava beans, drained
  • 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.

2. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

Analysis: I think very flavor is very important and that it the difference between eating and dining. There are a lot of vegetables that provide various nutrients and vitamins. There is a high level of salt though which is why this dish should be enjoyed in a bit of moderation. It is a cultural dish that I've enjoyed on many occasions. I thought that it is a good way to introduce Jamaican food to other cultures. If I would have made this food I would have made the meat a little tender and done medium with a little bit of red. My dad told me to do this because there is more moisture within the meat that can hold the flavors and spices in. 

Reflection:
The food unit was a fun one, and I feel as though I learned quite a bit of the less popular facts about things like obesity and heart disease that are good conversation pieces (sort of).
Screen_shot_2014_01_14_at_7_53_15_AM
Screen_shot_2014_01_14_at_7_53_15_AM