My Life With My Nephew In 2020

My Life With My Nephew In 2020 - Coming of Age in 2020 NYT Project

This written piece is a display of how I try my best to put my relationship with my nephew into words. We are close and to me, he feels more like a brother than a nephew. I wanted to write an essay to show the foundation of our relationship and how it has strengthened and changed throughout 2020. As we all know, it has been a very difficult year with many trials and tribulations over only 12 months, but I wanted to write about how my relationship with my nephew has survived this difficult year. I created this piece during October and I immediately thought of writing about my nephew and me in 2020 and the transition of feelings throughout this year. I created an essay to show my feelings about him, but I also created another piece to convey my thoughts and feelings uniquely. I wanted to create this specific type of piece as an elementary way to show how I feel about him and the way our relationship has altered throughout this year. I have not faced many challenges this year, but I have faced the very arduous task of living with my nephew every single day. My nephew and I go through many hardships dealing with one another every single day, but we will always get through the trials that face us together. The theme of this project is how teenagers are growing in 2020, and my project relates to the theme of being a teenager during this year in the fact that I have to handle and deal with my annoying younger “brother” while going to online school. It can be hard to deal with him, but in the essay, I convey my thoughts as best as I can. I created this essay by first, thinking of what I wanted to create. Then, I put all of my thoughts and feelings into one space that helped me format the way I wrote the essay. I went through many processes to improve my writing and make the pieces interesting, but I am pleased with the results of my planning and development. It was hard to find one thing to write about that was personal, but in the end, I found a great topic that was applicable and riveting enough to read.

Harper Leary (Student 2024)
Harper Leary

I really love this Sania. It really puts into perspective what it's like to have a nephew during 2020. I also really love the format you put it in! Great job :)