My Memoir: Anecdotes of An Introvert

My Memoir_ Anecdotes of An Introvert - Born A Crime Benchmark

Born A Crime, written by Trevor Noah, is an inspiring story of a young man’s youth and life in South Africa. It talks about culture, religion, family, friendships, and many other topics. These events inspired me to create my benchmark about my own sort of culture, introverts. In his story, Noah talks about his identity as a mixed child and how that affected his childhood. He explores his identity by talking about how his parents’ decisions affected how people acted towards him. He talks about belonging by discussing how he never fit in any friend group, but he was able to blend in and move through them, but he didn’t truly belong. One of Trevor’s most notable chapter was Chameleon. This was a chapter that stuck out to me because I know what it feels like to blend into the background and kind of remain unseen and unnoticed. I can relate to some parts of his writing, but others are completely new to me. Our writings are different, and I use my writing style to create my memoir. Trevor’s explanations of his culture were something that really gave me a clear understanding of the different languages and norms of South Africa, and I wanted to do something similar with explaining what an introvert is and how it reflects me as an individual. Instead of using humor in my writing like Trevor Noah, I opted to make references and write small blurbs with references. I also expressed my inner thoughts in the memoir as a part of my writing style. To explain the culture to an outsider audience, I noted the characteristics of an introvert, the definition, and what it means to me to be one. From my writing, you can get a sense of what an introvert is, but also how they are different from one another. My vignette shows how my culture is a part of my identity, but it doesn’t make up the entirety of who I am. It shows that when people accept who they are, they can use it, but don’t have to let their culture define who they are and limit what they can do.

Giavanna Jackson (Student 2024)
Giavanna Jackson

Wow I love the way this was written. It was written in a way I could relate and connect with you. I love how you say that being an introvert doesn't get in the way of your social interactions.