My Truong- Capstone

Throughout the year I attempted to developed my own photography style. My goal was to create a photography book. However, toward the end of the year I realized I wanted to create something that can be displayed for the whole school to see. Aaron and I ended up working together to create our SLA Pictures in Time wall. We started to take pictures of student in and outside school. We held a photoshoot for anyone who like get their picture professional done. We want to create a wall of memories of SLA over times so that if incoming freshman can see what had happen in the pass. At SLA we have a  lot of visitor the visitors, so they will be  able to look at our wall and have an idea of what kind of work we do at our school. We create this wall in a large space so that over time upcoming senior who want to take over our capstone and continue to add pictures on the wall.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.14.44 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.14.44 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.02 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.02 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.22 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.22 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.34 AM
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.15.34 AM

"How to Use a DSLR Camera: Learn DSLR Camera Basics Shutter Aperture ISO." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

How to use DSLR camera?

Using DSLR camera can be really confusing for beginners. Without knowing the technique it’s hard to get the right outcome that I wanted it to come out. So I have been looking up a lot of Youtube tutorials to get a better understanding on how to work with a DSLR camera. I learn that there are 2 important features that I need to work in order to get good pictures. Shutter speed and aperture. Shutter speed controls action, so when working with moving objects it’s best to change the shutter speed. Aperture control how much light can get through the camera. The higher the aperture it the less light there will be and the lower aperture is, the more light there will be.

Digital Photography for Dummies (Books)

For a better understanding, I used a book to understand Digital Photography. In this book, they talk a lot about, when to use a certain settings in the camera. It also show how to organize pictures and give me tips on how to edit pictures and keeping them so I will be able to access it easier. They also give me a lot of details on Photoshop that I can practice along with my photoshop program that I have on my computer.

"How to Compose Your Photo Using the Rule of Thirds." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Rules of third

I learned this technique in photography but I don't fully understand it. Using this rules of third tutorial, shows me that all picture doesn't look great in the center. The rule of third is when imaging the 3 by 3 grid and taking the picture at the intercept point. They apply the rule of third because at those 4 corner it catches the viewer's eye the most.

"Street Photography Do's and Don'ts." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Street photography

Part of my project is taking pictures in different genders. Street photography is one of the many pictures that I will be taking. This video show me what should I do and not do when taken street photography. I can use most of this technique in term of landscape photography. This video tells me I should always have my camera ready to shoot because street photography is all about the moment. It will be a waste of time if during the photoshoot time, was spent to set up the camera instead.

"Natural Light Portraiture - Get A Little Known Secret!" YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Portrait photography

If the model doesn't already know their best angle of their portrait it’s alway best to start out by taking a few pictures to see which angle look best for them. This is one of the tips I found really helpful in the video because sometimes when I do portrait pictures, I didn't know why some picture are better than other. Since I’m the photographer and the model I work,  normally doesn't have experience being a model and I need to position them. Talk to the model, tell them what to do and keep them engrade are very important.

"Picture Perfect Day." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Pictures days

Taking portrait pictures as the model makes a big impact for the outcome of the picture. Make-up that the model wear has a lot to do with the quality of the picture. Make up that had sunscreen make the model face shiny when the flash is on. I research a little of what should the model do and how to get ready for picture day. Depend on what kind of portrait, studio or outside model should use proper make up so that it does not create trouble for the photographer. It’s alway better for the model to know their angle, and what look best for them before doing the photoshoot.

"14 Photography Project Ideas - Click It Up a Notch." Click It Up a Notch. N.p., 27 Dec. 2013. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Project idea

When I first started my capstone I didn't know what my project will be like, all I know is I want it to be involved with photography. I did a lot of research and I find this website helpful to me. I use many of their ideas to create my own project that I can work with all year long. Instead of the 52 projects, I decide to do the 25 instead because that’s a perfect time line for me to do a photoshoot every week. I also leave a couple month extra so I can work on my final presentation which is creating the books.

"50 Essential Photography Tips - CNET." CNET. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Tips for photography

This website shows a lot of techniques that I can use when working with camera, lens, and how to program the camera. I think it’s really helpful to learn. I learn to use the graph on the camera to read the quality of the pictures. Most of the time when I come back during the photoshoot and try to review the pictures to make sure they look okay. It turn out that the picture on the camera screen doesn't look as nice as the one on the computer. The best way to tell if the quality of the pictures are great or not is to look at the graph. Most important thing is not to delete any pictures during the photoshoot because those picture might turn out really good if is on the computer screen

"Photo Books, Photo Albums, Create a Photo Book, Personalized Photo Album | Shutterfly." Shutterfly. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

making photography books

Since my final product presentation is to make an photography book, I did a little research and overview of how to make books and the cost. It turns out the book is not that expensive as I thought it might be. I still need a little more research but shutterfly is one of the best sources I find so far.

"Best Fundraising Ideas In America." Easy Fundraising Ideas for Schools, Churches, Sports and Non Profits. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.

Fundraising idea

Creating books, making websites, framing, and printing out pictures can cost a lot of money. I did a lot of resource on how to fundraise and I can make the best out of it. I will start doing fundraise during February. I think selling candy and snack is one of the best way to make the most money out of it. So I plan to sell candy during school (not lunch time because other people will do bake sale). Since this is a long term thing I decide to do, it when other people are not having any fundraise. I also research different websites that did sponsor that can be very helpful.