Negative Space

Negative space is the space in between the main subjects/focus of the image. For example if you had an image of a flower in blue and white, and the flower is filled in blue, and the background is all white, then everything in white is the negative space. And the positive space is the blue flower. You could also refer to them as foreground and background. I found the negative space in this image of a house by first identifying what the main focus of the image was. I saw that the house, the clouds and the fence were most important. It was also helpful that the original was in black and white, I could clearly see the negative and positive that why. After I identified the two just by sight, I began to cut the positive space out on blue paper. Once I had all of the positive space cut out, I was only left with the negative. This allowed me to see the difference between the two clearly. I then flipped the negative space onto the other side of the red page, this allows you to see how they fit together like puzzle pieces and see how they relate to create an image. Negative space also helps an artist to see the silhouette of their image. When an artist can see the silhouette of their image, they are able to create a better contrast and enhance the composition of their work. Good artists need to recognize the negative space just as much as the positive, if they neglect the negative then the art looks incomplete. Also seeing negative space enhances drawings because it allows me to see every side of the art. It gives me a new perspective on the drawings, and even helps me create my own images.