Natalie's artist statement Q4

Natalie Sanchez
6/8/11
Artist statement Q4
This quarter in art class, my we were asked to take 200 photos, modify 4 photos, recreate a famous painting, sketch a bicycle three times in different ways, and draw an outside scene from observation. There were some forms of art that were new to me. For example, before this art quarter, I never used to do photography, but this assignment gave me an opportunity to experience that freedoms that come with photography. I feel like in this quarter, I have been exposed to new forms of art.
 The most challenging project of this quarter was modifying the four pictures.  As I mentioned before, I did not know how to use photoshop at all. I had to find a friend of mine to teach me how to edit the pictures. She taught me the basics: How to cut out the background of a picture, How to change the background of a picture, how to manipulate the layers of the pictures, and how to add text to the same. After she explained these things to me, I was able to modify the four pictures in different ways. After I learned how to use photoshop, I liked the creative aspect of the project.  I enjoyed using my creative liberties to make a picture completely different than what it initially was.
The easiest project of this quarter was recreating the famous painting. I recreated the Painting “Starry Night” by Vincent Van Gogh. I enjoyed the process of creating the painting because painting is one of my favorite hobbies. I also feel like I had plenty of time to finish the painting because I paced myself with it. I worked on it for two whole art periods and at home for half an hour and was able to finish it on time.
Overall, I feel like this quarter opened my interests to other forms of art like photography and photoshop. I feel like photography gives me a chance to capture the art in my world as I see it and that photoshop gave me an opportunity to modify a picture the way that I want to. If I were to start this quarter over again,  I would probably pace myself with all my art projects so that I would be able to finish all of my art work on time and save myself work time at home. As a whole, I felt like this quarter went well. 

Link to my 200 photos.
New Starry night
New Starry night
photo shop #1
photo shop #1
photo shop #2
photo shop #2
photoshop #3
photoshop #3
photoshop#4
photoshop#4
New line bike
New line bike
New negative bike
New negative bike
New shade bike
New shade bike
clean yarn bracelet picture for art class
outside sketch for art
outside sketch for art