National Meat Association vs. Harris

pigs-downer-slaughter
pigs-downer-slaughter

Constitutional question:

The constitutional question here is determining or not if the Federal meat Inspection Act, which basically allows slaughterhouses to keep animals that can’t walk for observation, for evidence of disease, does this prevent a state law that determines animals like that to be immediately killed.

“Whether the Federal Meat Inspection Act which requires slaughterhouses to hold animals that become unable to walk for observation for evidence of disease preempts a state law that requires such animals to be immediately killed.”

“Is a California law requiring slaughterhouses to "immediately euthanize" any nonambulatory animal on its premises preempted by the Federal Meat Inspection Act?”

Facts of the case:

·      The Federal meat Inspection Act is basically an act that is concerned about animals that are going to become meat.

·      Slaughterhouses in California.

·      California made there own rules which is basically allowing them to handle or take care of or observe animals that cannot walk.

·      The right to purchase animals like any type of receipts was also banned in California.

·      Can’t sell meat if the animal was originally with the swine that didn’t allow it to walk.

·      The animals that can’t walk are caused by transportation.

·      220,000 swine die during transportation

·      440,000 become unable to walk during transportation.

·      Are animals suitable to turn into meat?

·      Inspections?

·      Humane treatment to animals that can’t walk. Do whatever they want to the animal.

Summary of the Arguments before the SCOTUS:

The argument before SCOTUS appears argues and states the overall points of the case. Mr. Wells, on behalf of the petitioner, states the rules that the California slaughterhouses have given themselves, which is basically handling animals that cannot walk. The case here is argued among Steven J. Wells, Justice Scalia, Justice Kagan, Justice Sotomayor and Justice Alito. One main thing that has come to their attention is the point in which California has banned all receipts for animals. Therefore not allowing any evidence of a purchase from an animal. The situation ended up leading to another case, which involved meat sales, receipts of purchase and such. Meat sales happens to be one of the main steps involved in the process of the slaughterhouse argues one person. Human treatment and food safety are other points made here. How is it that people could sit and sell food yet not knowing much about the health of the animal, this here can lead to health issues among people who buy the meat. The main focus now is the fact as to, why animals are unable to walk, which could be from transportation to the slaughterhouses and could be from the swine disease in, which the animals carry. There were multiple points brought up but the main one had to do with the process in, which animals become unable to walk.

Predictions on the outcome:

I am not sure what to thin actually I mean I completely disagree with the slaughterhouses in California and their rules. I believe they are the ones who will lose the case because of cruelty. Well not exactly cruelty to animals but the point as to, where they are handling and dealing with animals that can’t walk in the way they want to handle them.