Negative/Positive Space Cutout

Negative space is the empty space that is surrounding an image or an object. For every piece of positive space there is a piece of negative space around it. For example, if I were to show you a tree, the negative space would be the spaces around the tree and in between the leaves and branches. In my cut out, I found the negative space by looking at all the empty spaces, all of the places where there was empty space in around the bird. It can help an artist to see in negative space because it helps to define the image. Negative space is just as important as the positive space and the object itself. Negative space is so helpful to artists because it helps to balance the image and to define the shape. I think that seeing things in negative space can enhance drawings in some ways and in other ways it cannot. For example, when you draw the negative space of an object, you are leaving out many details of the object itself which can be important depending on what you are drawing. However, drawing just the negative space really provides an emphasis on the object and outline/shape of the object itself.

negative space cut out (1)