Negative Space: Brandon Yam

A.) Negative space is the space behind, around, and in between an object or objects. The object itself is not negative space but everything else besides it, is negative space. To give you an example of negative space, think about prison cells. The bars on prison cells are separated by an equal amount of space. That space would be the negative space. 
B.) I found negative space in my cut out because I looked up other examples of negative space on the internet and did my cut out similar to that. I did a tree in my cut out, so for the negative space I just had to create the the background. When I created the background the tree was made as well as a result of the background. Look at the picture I provided below to get a better understanding of what I am talking about. 
I found negative space in my still life drawing by actually making the negative space. I would create the object first then I would just shade around all of the object. This is one way of doing it. I also did one of the drawing much like the cut out project. I created the background space first, so I shaded everything then left some parts non-shaded, the non-shaded regions would create the object. Another way I went about negative space in these drawings was by covering a whole section of a piece of paper with lead, then I took an eraser and drew the object by erasing. 
C.) It helps an artist see in negative space because it gives them a new way of thinking. As I was doing this project, I found it to be very challenging because I had to think of how to go about making negative space out of cut outs. Negative space also helps the artist think more realistically about their surroundings. 
D.) I do believe seeing in negative space enhances drawings. I personally feel like I have a better understanding of the space that surrounds an object. Negative space gives a drawing a simple, plain, yet unique look. 

20130430_133733
20130430_133733
20130430_133722
20130430_133722
20130430_133713
20130430_133713
20130430_133625
20130430_133625